Chapter 13: A Recollection

Because sometimes the simplest explanation is also the right one. Time for Chapter 13!

Chapter 13

A Recollection

The town was peaceful under the night sky, little lights glimmering from all the houses that were there, painting a rather idyllic picture to the citizens that were resting inside them. In the distance, the mansion that was the mayor's house was also lit up, decorated with beautiful fountains and the finer things. It was all a symbol of the town's revival, even now, eight years later. No one would have believed, standing there in Po Town, that so many years ago it had been ransacked and devastated by those calling themselves Team Skull. In fact, one would wonder if any of those currently living in the restored town ever truly knew about the events that had taken place here. The only one was possibly the mayor, elected after his heavy charity work on the town.

However, Lance knew all too well. He knew what Po Town represented to the people of Alola in the current age, and even for the mayor, there. Having been a part of the force that worked to restore it, he could look at Po Town and remember the past with utmost fondness.

That wasn't what the Champion was here for, though. It wasn't to relive the old days with a happy grin. It wasn't to think about the League's past accomplishments. It certainly wasn't about anything fond, either. No, he was here on a much darker purpose; one that very few people knew about. Reaching up to run a hand through his hair, Lance stared up at the mansion, lights on throughout the entire building. There were some other sounds somewhere in town, as though a celebration at some local establishment, but Lance chose to ignore them. He began to walk forward calmly and slowly, approaching the mansion in the near distance.

Lance's body remained on high alert, looking along the moonlit streets, almost reacting with any movement surrounding him. Things had set him on edge, not the least of which had been the bomb site of what was now left of ARC. He hadn't contacted the League the whole day, and there was no doubt Diantha was worrying, especially given the tattered state of so many other things. He decided he couldn't waste time really worrying about any of that, however.

"Merow," a Persian seemed to purr out from an alleyway, and Lance stopped. He turned his head, the Classy Cat Pokémon emerging. It certainly didn't seem like an alley cat of any sort. It was far too pampered and aware for that. Instead, it seemed to act like a sentinel in the night, keeping constant surveillance on the town. Lance remained staring at the creature, and then it turned its head up, seeming to act just a little snooty. The Champion chuckled at that as the Persian then continued along the ground, walking regally towards the mansion.

He followed, the journey going much smoother now as the two reached the mansion in moments. Lance reached up and rapped his knuckles on the door. It took a brief moment, but eventually the door opened wide, light streaming out into the streets and illuminating the figure standing there.

"Mayor Keoni, has Looker arrived?" At Lance's words, Keoni silently opened the door further. Persian slunk inside, rubbing up against his trainer's leg as he did so, while the greater amount of light fully illuminated the young man's features. In that same light, Lance noted the darker skin of the young man that was the mayor of Po Town, having been elected only in the last few years.

"He arrived just a half hour ahead of you," Keoni answered graciously. Lance regarded him a moment as he further pushed the door open to let the Champion in. From Ash's comments in the past, one would be hard pressed to believe that Keoni had once been an absolutely spoiled and selfish brat. The elegance and care with which he carried himself as the mayor of Po Town seemed to preclude that these days.