Chapter 17: A Return

Fanfiction is having problems, so hopefully this is all okay for you and you can read and review it. Oh well, get ready to clear up most of what remains. Let's read Chapter 17!

Chapter 17

A Return

The trip to the Hub was a solemn one, marked by a tremendous silence across the ocean waters, far away from Alola. The only thing to break up that silence (other than the droning noise of the jet engines) was Burnet clacking away on her keyboard once she had safely been delivered to the Aether jet, needing a more stable surface to work upon. Whatever she'd found, though, she certainly didn't share it. Ash didn't say anything, either. He just kept mulling over the events from Mount Lanakila, Pikachu falling asleep in his lap while he did so.

Even Serena was silent, though that was probably because she'd fallen asleep aboard the jet. Ash remarked in his head that she had seemed rather exhausted from all the events, and he hoped she'd take care of herself when they got to the Hub, though at the moment, he didn't bother waking her. This was especially so with Lillie resting her head in his wife's lap. Only when the League Hub was appearing on the horizon in the ocean did Ash finally engage in conversation with another person.

"That was some pretty nasty stuff, yeah?" Hau said, his voice low and his tone serious in the moment. Ash grunted a bit, nodding in the moment. Hau leaned against the side of the jet, exhaling loudly. "At least the people on the mountain got off okay."

"Barely," Kahili commented with a scoff, herself joining Hau and leaning against the other side. "If it hadn't been the dead of night, there would have been a lot more trainers and civilians that would have fallen there. Almost makes me wonder if that particular timing was part of their plan all along, considering all of Team Rocket seems to have officially been wiped out; not an operative left. Meanwhile, everyone else seems to have turned out perfectly fine."

"I'm pretty sure it was their plan," Ash exhaled, tilting his head back to feel the sea breeze while looking at the approaching Hub. He held his arms tighter around Pikachu, focusing his eyes straight ahead with a steely fire. "They set everything up perfectly, apparently..."

"Hmm..." Kahili hummed out, but said nothing more. Either way, the thoughts were frightening, Ash felt. If it hadn't been planned that way, then IDEAL seemed rather willing to kill a lot of innocents just to get at their goal. However, if it had actually been planned that way, then the reality was far more disconcerting: that they were tricky individuals who knew how to play them like violins.

"Ash," called the voice of Steven from the front helicopter, guiding the way to the League Hub. "When we touch down, everyone should get checked out by the medical staff we have on call. Once that's done, I want you to meet us in the main meeting room. I'm sure you know where it is."

"I got it," Ash answered, exhaling once more. Feeling satisfied, Steven withdrew his head as they began their final approach to the large base sitting on the ocean. Ash now leaned forward, Pikachu stirring in his lap, and the two looked out to the humongous fortress. From where he was, Ash could see the place where the stadium likely sat, though no other contents of the Hub were quite so visible. Just a seaborne fortress that was inviting to some, and forbidding to others. Thankfully, Ash found himself being part of the former. "Almost there, Latias. We'll get you treated in no time."

"Pika!" Pikachu agreed, patting his partner. Finally, Ash saw them all beginning to descend and Latias followed suit. Whoever was operating things must have known they were coming, because the walls extended outward into landing pads for them to enter into the base. They weren't alone, either, as it seemed some other helicopters and jets were arriving. In particular, Ash could swear he saw one from Unova containing Iris and Cilan, both of whom caught sight of him and waved. He gave a tired wave back, but couldn't do any more to greet them. Clearly, though, Maka's message had reached a great many people, now making their way to the Hub.