Chapter 23: A Rage

It is time to break out the XY&Z. That is all that needs to be said. Time for Chapter 23, also.

Chapter 23

A Rage

Ash's feet shifted, scraping along the dust and rubble that now plagued the space beneath the stadium. Deirdre was watching him, a smile across her face, like she'd been looking forward to his arrival all along. It reminded him sharply of the last time he'd been here, below Ancien Stadium, and the loss he'd suffered then. Deirdre was wearing the same look as her, and for a brief second, Ash wondered if she was searching for the same thing: wanting all of this to end. He quickly narrowed his eyes and chose to abandon the notion. He would figure that out with a battle.

"Seamus, Gladion, Guzma," Ash spoke up, his voice echoing around the space as the dull rumblings of an explosion sounded out above his head. Deirdre didn't even make a movement at them. "You guys did great. Thanks. We'll take it from here."

"Ya better win, kid," Guzma chuckled out, and Gladion joined him, the three of them acknowledging their past together. Ash nodded, fiddling with his hat a second. Then he looked down to Seamus, clutching to the form of Zoroark. Sadness creeped into him; the Pokémon he'd once fought, understanding her pain, was now gone. The raven-haired trainer breathed out, but he faced forward to Deirdre.

"Seamus, I'm sorry I wasn't fast enough," he said to his friend, the blond looking up at him. It took a second, but he nodded. His hands lowered, placing his fallen friend down on the ground, but his body didn't move to stand, like he was handing the torch off to him for the fight that was ahead.

"It's okay..." he spoke, sniffling a bit. "She gave the future, his future, to us...so win. Ash, kick her ass!"

"Planning on it," Ash spoke, smirking across at Deirdre. "Quick Attack!"

"Pika!" Pikachu cried and he burst forward, a bright white aura surrounding his entire little body as he ran, right for Altaria. Deirdre cocked an eyebrow, as though surprised he would attack without much else to say. Ash ran right for her, catching sight of her legs, mottled and broken, but she was still standing. Eyes narrowing in wonder, he swung his leg out. Pikachu rammed into Altaria, sending the Humming Pokémon flying back.

"Greninja, use Cut!" Ash cried. Greninja clasped at his side and drew forth his watery kunai, running for the very same target as Pikachu. Ash crossed his arms alongside his Pokémon, right as his kick seemed to make contact. Deirdre caught it with her hand, smirking, but Ash pushed forward. "So, what's with your legs? Is that why you needed an illusion?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Deirdre said, lips still twisted in a smirk. Ash peered deep into the woman's eyes, scanning for what lay beneath them. They were no longer empty, like every time before, but instead burning with a rage and sadness; it was something he'd only glimpsed before. It was enough to give him a measure of her and start figuring her out. "But it won't matter! Dragon Pulse, rapid fire!"

"Altar! Tar! Tari!" Altaria cried out, flapping around in the air and rearing her head back, before firing out one dragon after another. All of the purple beams aimed right for Greninja. He didn't stop, brandishing his kunai and bringing them to bear. The Dragon Pulse slammed into Greninja, but he held fast before slicing it apart, causing the ethereal creature to dissipate. As he did so, Ash did the same, knocking his fists out and punching across Deirdre's midsection, causing them to break off from one another.

"Iron Tail, go!" Ash called. Pikachu, landing briefly on the ground, swung right back up with his shining tail and whacked it into Altaria's lower body. The Humming Pokémon cried.