Chapter 12: A Rocket

This story continues to have a lot of whirling plot points. As a result...yes, most of this story has only taken place in 36 hours, which explains certain absences, really, and has allowed to give a lot of characters who wouldn't have it, the chance to shine. But Chapter 12 time!

Chapter 12

A Rocket

"Reports continue to come in regarding the events that have been transpiring across the regions," Malva's sultry overtones spoke from the small screen in Diantha's hands. The only thing that could be heard over that voice was the helicopter beating its rotors loudly as they traveled. Seated across from the Kalos Champion were Korrina and Mairin, both of whom were leaning in to listen to the news report. "Relief efforts from the Aether Foundation are continuing at Mount Chimney, helping to restore the wildlife to what it was. Meanwhile, it would seem that there is very little to be spoken about in regards to Veilstone City, though time will tell in regards to that. One can only hope, in regards to these potential incidents, that the glimmering rainbows beginning to be seen above these locations can be seen as a sign of hope in the face of natural catastrophe."

"So, they're not reporting on the deaths..." Korrina commented. Diantha pursed her lips and turned the screen off. Keeping apprised of what the media was talking about was well and good, but right now was very quickly becoming a time of action that she needed to focus on. "Not even Clemont was mentioned."

"Right now, that's for the better," Diantha commented, leaning back and propping her hand on her fist. Yet another day was drawing to a close, and the tournament had continued on, completely falling into the background of her brain. Perhaps it had showed to the now increasingly restless populace when she'd lost to Cynthia; not that she had a problem with that. There was so little of the tournament on her mind at this point. Cynthia could win the whole thing and she felt no one would really care, given what was going on and who remained.

In the middle of a crisis, a tournament was the last thing that anyone was thinking about. With ARC in shambles and high-profile names such as Ash and Clemont missing, the Champions didn't even want to waste the time taking part in the tournament to begin with, but all of them knew far too well that a panicking populace was much worse than taking a few minutes to battle it out on a grand stage. Diantha was so lost in this thought that, as Mairin leaned forward, she almost missed the red-haired woman's question. "So, no one knows that this Team Rocket is making a move?"

"I hope not," Diantha breathed. She stopped leaning and looked to both of the women sitting there. It was a subtle expression, but Korrina truly looked rather worried in that moment, tapping her foot ceaselessly. The news of Clemont's disappearance (she wanted to avoid the word "death", for obvious reasons) had hit her much harder than she was letting on. It truly made Diantha wonder how Serena, ever proactive, was taking the whole thing. No doubt they both wanted to get in on the action and fight in their significant others' stead...well, wherever Serena was. Wanting to quell all of their trepidation, Diantha addressed the issue at hand. "It's better if no one knows about all of these things. We've lived in a time of unprecedented peace up to this point, and I'd rather not shatter that."

"But...isn't that just pulling the wool over everyone's eyes?" Mairin asked, clutching her Chespin to her. He seemed asleep, nodding off in the setting sun. Diantha watched the research assistant, taking her words into consideration. "Not wanting people to know what's going on...isn't that just like Lysandre, and that Michael?"

"Not quite," Korrina said, her leg stopping its jiggling. "The difference here is that we're protecting people, and probably plan to speak about what happened after everything's taken care of. Besides, we're clearly not hiding everythingthe greatest."