The Invitation

Coiny walked towards his mailbox. It creaked open. He pulled out a large stack of letters. Some were useless coupons, magazines, and newspapers. He took the stack inside the house. Coiny's face turned to a frown, as he gazed around his awfully lonely house. All he had was a lazy white cat, named Fuzz. But, Fuzz couldn't talk to him. Coiny did have friends, just nobody to live with. He sat down on the fading blue sofa, and plopped the letters on the coffee table. He started going through them, and as predicted, most of them were useless. He looked at Fuzz, suppressing a sigh, as the cat just turned away, curling up to get more sleep. Then, he turned back to the letters. Coiny flipped through more, growing exhausted. "I wish I checked my mailbox sooner." Coiny mumbled to himself. Then, on the top of the stack, one letter startled him.

  Coiny opened the letter, and was shocked at what he saw. "What?" He gasped. "Pin wants me to come to dinner with her?" His face lit up in excitement, but at the same time, embarrassment. "Why me?" Coiny thought. "Does she really think I'm good enough for her?" He pushed the thought away. "No." Coiny told himself. "Nobody is good enough for Pin." "She's too great."

    But, Coiny couldn't help but fizz up with excitement. "Can you believe it, Fuzz?" He exclaimed, grabbing the cat, and repeatedly throwing him and catching him. Fuzz just gave a simple meow, and sprang from Coiny's arms. "If my cat can't accept me, why should Pin?" He sighed, before slumping down on the couch to sleep.

     Coiny found himself laying under a tree, with pink flowers on each branch. Petals were falling, some falling on his head. He blew them off. He tried to stand up, but he was pulled down. He turned to see Pin asleep beside him, her hand on his. He blushed, feeling so many emotions flowing through him at once. He snuggled closer to her. The soft sound of Pin's breathing beside him just lured him to sleep somehow.

   Coiny opened his eyes again, but he was on his sofa again, looking up at the pale ceiling of his house. Disappointment flooded over him, and he felt his heart crack. "It was all a dream." He whispered, almost crying. "But, at least I get to meet Pin today at the Sunset Hills before the dinner." Coiny reminded himself, recovering from the sadness a little.