13. Broken Pieces

A/N: if you read my A/N for The World's latest chapter you'd know I fucked up, so this is coming several hours early, but it is uh, a little short, I will admit. Also, I took a long break from this story because I completely lost my way with it- but I'm back to outlining it in advance, and I WILL work on outlining some more tonight, so you can keep getting chapters every Saturday for this story. I have also created a playlist for this story, but am too lazy to go back and edit the chapter titles of 12 chapters to match the song titles on anything but fanfiction, so I'm sorry to those who read on Wattpad and A03. The playlist is linked in the story bios on Wattpad and A03, but on Fanfic is linked on my author profile. Check it out when you get the chance. Imma end this A/N here because if I don't it might turn out longer than the actual fucking chapter (nice going, Erin. Smdh for the second time tonight.) Anyway, enjoy :)

Zero dreamt of many things as the weeks passed- visions of war torn battefields, whether they be of the Academy torn asunder or a field he was completely unfamiliar with, the flat, unseeing stares of the dead haunted him in his waking hours as well and he was helpless to do anything about it, opting to paste a mask haphazardly over his features whenever his mind turned back to the horrific scenes that followed him even in the safety of the Dorm's walls.

But tonight he was not going to focus on what awaited him- or at least he was going to try not to anyway.

No, tonight was a night of triumph, of failure, of utterly disgusting productions- yes, tonight was the night they marathoned Worst Chefs in the World.

They being Aido and he while Kain kept watch over his cousin- it was a weekend night after all, and it was a rare weekend when the students were allowed to wander into town, so Kaname had made sure the wiser cousin was keeping a close eye on the younger, but it was rendered moot as Zero had already lured the blond into the trappings of reality television.

His head was aching hollowly- gradually worsening as the night progressed, and every clatter of pans and smacking of fish against cutting boards via the blaring TV made his ears near ring in agitation.

Of course, he was calming himself with what Aido had referred to as an 'ungodly combination of separately delicious foods, unified unnecessarily and therefore rendered disgusting'- Zero just snickered at the blond's antics while shoving it into his mouth to attempt to abate his annoyingly strong cravings.

But still, whenever a commercial would flash on screen he found himself searching the future- Yuki's future.

But it wasn't her future he was finding, it was her past.

Warmth, comforting warmth- she was wrapped in her Okaa-san's arms, her mother humming the soft lullaby she had always sung to soothe Yuki's restless nerves. Juri's fingers tangled in and out of her daughter's long auburn waves as she held her against her chest, Yuki's face tucked into her bosom as she slowly stopped crying, the fear she had acquired during her nightmare degrading the longer she remained in Juri's warm arms.

A flash, and she's sitting in her Otouto's lap as he reads a book with big, unfamiliar words to her while her Nii-san practices on the piano's keys- a pointless activity as everything he did always seemed to come flawlessly to him. But still- the soft, lilting melody lured her into a hazy sort of contentment- she was safe and she was happy in her father's arms.

Another flash and Juri cries out as she rushes Yuki past the second story windows that face out onto the front lawn. Yuki's brows are furrowed in confusion as her mother sobs quietly. She longs to comfort her mother- Okaa-san was the sun of her life, a wildfire of emotions- she should never cry or be sad in Yuki's young mind.