3. Confusion

It was a warm night in the middle of summer as she laid her sons to sleep. Her half breed sons- half hunter, half pureblood vampire.

Lilly uncovered her hood from her unruly silver hair and ran a hand through it, pushing it out of her face as she finished her bedtime story to her children. Her two eldest were sleeping peacefully and though she knew her youngest, dear Mika, was merely pretending to rest.

She knew very well that he would come down this night to be with her.

It was almost time for her to depart from their lives- their father would take care of them well she knew, but she also knew that he would bind their vampire sides and deny them half of their birthright when she left them.

Her sons, Akira, Sato, and Mika all took after her looks-wise as opposed to her pureblood vampire children such as the Kazuma who resembled nothing like her in the least, or the Hiou, who look only similarly to her.

The eldest, Akira and Sato, twins, were well-mannered and dutiful and everything her husband wanted while her youngest, dear sweet Mika was a dreamer at heart, his head always in the clouds and his heart always away from conflict of any sort.

She left the room after placing the book upon the bare table beside Akira's bed and made her way to the front porch where she could watch the sun rise and await Mika's eventual company.

Within minutes, Mika had made his way as silent as any ghost to her position, plopping himself beside her on the comfy loveseat that was long since worn.

"Okaa-san, I had another dream." He began and she nodded, wrapping her hand with his own, squeezing it to urge him to tell her.

"It was about Yuki and her brother again." Mika said softly, "Yuki is smiling like always and she was talking about her friends again and then her brother comes in and she smiles at me and leaves and... oh, Okaa-san I know that I love him, or I will, I mean."

She smiled and ran a hand through his silver waves that were due for another cut.

"I thought when I first dreamed of him that he hated me- but then dream after dream I think he changed his mind, or will, I guess. He loved Yuki first, but something happened and he started to look at me more and more and then... Well I think he loved, will love me, or at least I hope so, Okaa-san. I know I'll love him more than anyone else."

"Tell me more about him." She urged and he smiled softly at her, his amethyst eyes bright and untouched by true sadness, filled with hope and trust.

"I think they're like you, Okaa-san. Purebloods, I think."

Lilly squeezed his hand once more as apprehension filled her.

She knew her husband would never allow their sons to mate with vampires, certainly not purebloods.

Their own marriage had been without mating bond, and without true love, but instead amiable acquaintance that turned into marital convenience.

So she lamented for her son, her little dreamer.

She squeezed his hand once more, "You have great things ahead of you, my son. But I fear that you will not come to this happiness for some time."

Kaname approached the only righted bed in the clinic with caution, his former word hanging in the air- the first lack in control he'd had in a very long time.

"How?"

The ex-human, one of the only people to ever well and truly challenge him, lay partially tied down to the bed that dripped with his spilled blood.