Chapter One

Chapter One

                Danni’s POV

Most would love to have nothing but power; to have control over this planet and control every creature on it. I, on the other hand, would love to eat a pan of brownies without getting fat or moonwalk like Micheal Jackson, but hey we all can’t get want we want. Life isn’t always fair and sadly many don’t realize that.  

Let me introduce myself, my name is Danielle Brooks, but I prefer Danni. I so do not look like a Danielle and the name doesn't suit me at all. Well, I like to think that.

Anyways back to the power thing, well I am an Elemental. This means that a person can control an element or two, but in my case I can control all of them. Yay so awesome, no not really it kind of sucks since that every guy who is supernatural wants to get with me and produce little whippersnappers that would be stronger than Zeus if he existed. You are probably hung up about the supernatural part; I was when I found out too. Yes there are supernatural beings like werewolves, vampires, witches, and so on; I haven’t come across one yet and I don’t plan on it.

As for the whippersnappers, I would love to have kids one day, but with someone who loves me for me and not my “gift.” Also I am only twenty-one years old and my opinion that is too young to have kids.

Many might think that I should be grateful for my gifts, but in reality it’s a burden as well as a gift. I have to move often and dye my hair and wear different color eye contacts. My original hair color is a nice golden blond, the type that gets blonder in the summer and slightly darker in the winter. I have one green eye and the other is blue. With all that put together, I can be easily picked out in a crowd.

You’re probably wondering what happen to my parents. Well I grew up with a very normal life until I turned six. That was when my first element appeared, sadly it was fire and it was quite shocking when I burnt a hole in the kitchen wall. Both my parents where Elementals, my mother June could control water and air and my father Michael could control earth. I really don't know much of my grandparents on either side, because they didn't approve to my parents getting married and they just never talked about them. When it comes to different elements there are four main ones: Water, Air, Earth, and Fire. All these complaint one another in the form of Spirit, also there are side elements like thunder, lighting, rain, snow, etc.

My parents were surprised that by the age of twelve that I have received all the elements. With that, I had to train to master them all and learn how to fight; kind of like Aang from Avatar. I must say that I can kick some serious butt and I don’t want to toot my own horn, but toot-toot; I am that good.

Anyway back to my parents, I was always home schooled in fear that my secret would get out and I really didn’t have many friends. By the time I turned seventeen, it was the first time that we were attacked by someone who wanted to take me and abuse my gift.

After that night, I have never stop running. My parents were smart enough and rich enough to form a secret bank account that could not be traced and would last my entire life if anything should happen to them. Sadly it had to be used too quickly. Four months after the first attack we were attacked again and my parents were both killed.

At first everyone thought I was killed too, but a select few believe that I am still alive. The first few weeks after my parents were killed, I was heartbroken and lost.

Have you ever felt so broken that you could not move, just sitting there feeling your heart crumble in your chest and you hurt mentally and physically. After a few months of drifting from one town to another, I had a wake up call.

I remember that I was sitting on a park bench, getting looks from the locals when this little girl walks up to me. She was no older than seven and had very short blond hair. You could tell she was battling cancer and you would think that when you looked into her eyes you would see fear and pain, but all I saw was love and hope. At first she just stood there watching me, what shocked me must was that she was holding a white daisy in her hand before giving it to me.

 As I held the small delicate flower, tears formed in my eyes. I quietly murmured, “Why?”  

She smiled at me and said, “We all face some type of trouble and sometimes we cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. We think that we are alone and we cannot make it. But sometimes we have to fight for something, even at the moment when we don’t know what it is.” 

With that she runs off to her mother and father who were beaming with pride. It hit me so hard like an elephant on roller blades that she was right. My parents spent years protecting me and gave me everything a girl could wish for. They gave up everything for to protect me and here I sit wishing I was dead. They taught me to stand tall and fight, to live a happy life and do good.

It’s hard to believe how someone so young, so innocent held so much wisdom and yet has had so much pain in her short life.

It is safe to say that little girl changed my life, she saved me. After that I went to the bank and used the money my parents left me and I withdrew a good amount and secretly gave it to her family to help with medical bills. I am happy to say that it paid for everything and even some was put into a savings account for her college fund. It was the least I could do.

Now back to now, I had to move again and this time I want somewhere a little different to live; even if it’s for a short period of time. I usually move to bigger cities because it is easy to get lost in the crowd and blend in, but this time I wanted somewhere quite. The town is called Mystic Springs and it is located in northern Wisconsin. 

This time I had my hair back to my original color and had green contacts in so I feel somewhat like myself. Last time my hair was dyed jet black and I had brown contacts. Black hair really doesn't flatter me and it is a bitch to color over. I had to use a lot of boxes of Color Oops and conditioner to make my hair healthy looking again.  

As I look around, I drove through the wooded forest of beautiful trees; I felt at peace. It was lightly misting and the scene took my breath away. After driving for a reasonable amount of time, finally I came up to a street called Hide Lake where my new temporary home is located. The main reason why I bought the home was it was isolated and the nearest house was a fifteen minutes away. Which is good because I really need to practice my elements, I’m getting a little rusty.

After turning on to the dirt road and driving a little over five minutes, my beautiful white clap board house with a bright red front door greets me. On some parts the paint was chipping and the flower beds had weeds, but I was extremely excited that there was a front porch that warped around the house and that behind the house you could see a beautiful lake with a pier that was in decent shape.

I quickly parked my car and smile at the house that is mine for now. For the first time in a while, I have the feeling that I was finally at a place where I could call it home without feeling guilty.

The video is the lyrics to Lana Del Rey's Dark Paradise and think is describes Danni's feelings before meeting the little girl. Also I think it can relate to almost anyone when they lost a loved one.