Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

                Danni’s POV

It has been a couple days since I have seen the brown wolf and I have a feeling that I am being watched. I don’t want to tell Jace and have him put me on lock down again, but I have a feeling that something is going to happen.

So far we have everything that Grandma needs to move into the cottage and tomorrow everyone is helping her either paint or move furniture. She is more of a cream and beige person than a bright vibrant color person. I’m just happy that she is living nearby and that someone is living in that old house; I would hate to see it empty.

As I lay on the couch watching the news, the twins come barreling in and dog pile on me. Tonight I talked Alexis and Erik in going on a date leaving me watching the boys. Jace has been in his office working and I am slightly getting pissed at him.

Smiling at the boys in their cute Superman and Batman pajamas, I quickly tickle their sides and we began a full blown out tickle war. I am laughing so hard that I roll off the couch with the boys staring at me and I laugh harder. It’s the type of laugh that is silent and you are flapping your arms around like a retarded seal. Yeah, that type of laugh.

After a few minutes of trying to compose myself, I look at the clock and sees that it is time to put the boys to bed. Hopping up, I give the boys a stern look and tell them to say goodnight to Jace and go upstairs to brush their teeth before I’ll be up shortly to tuck them in.

I quickly straighten the couch and once again I feel eyes burning into my back. I silently walk over to the front window and look out, but I don’t see any movement. Pulling the curtains together, I power walk up the stairs. As I walk into the boys room, I hear them giggling, but they are not in bed.

Smiling to myself, I remember something my mom did when I was little. I clear my throat and in the best British male voice I say, “Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman, Be he live, or be he dead I'll grind his bones to make my bread.”

I instantly hear the boys giggle harder as I walk around the room and I notice that they were under the bed furthest from the door. I quickly, but gently grab each of their ankles and pull them out and smile down at them.

“Ok boys now that I found you, jump into bed before I make you into bread.” I tell them in a serious tone.

They both hop into their beds and Kent asks, “Can you read us a story, Aunt Danni?”

I smile and select the book Corduroy, my all-time favorite children’s book and I settle down in the bean bag chair between the boys beds. I read each page even though I have this book memorized and I continue reading even when the boys are fast asleep. My mom probably read this book to me hundreds of times and I never get tired of it. I feel my heart get heavy thinking about my parents and I sit there for a while just watching the twins sleep. I didn’t realize I was crying until I felt a hand against my cheek wiping the tear away. Looking up at Jace’s warm and loving eyes I feel him pull me into a hug.

I love how every time I start feeling sad or depressed he will come and find me and just hold me in his arms. Sighing into his chest, he leads me out and head to our bedroom when we hear someone at the door. Groaning Jace quickly lets me go and runs down the stairs when someone barges their way in. It is an older man most likely in his early eighties, but he was definitely in shape for an older gentleman. He gives one pointed look at Jace then a smile breaks out on his face and he engulfs him into a hug. I see that Jace is smiling too and I feel that it is safe to go down.

As I walk down the man turns to me and says, “Well Jace I did not know that angels can fly this low to earth. You must be Danni; I’ve heard wonderful thing about you. I’m Great Uncle Joe Wallace. I’m sure that Jace haven’t said anything about, because he is afraid that I steal his thunder.”