Prologue

Prologue

I could feel the heat of the fire licking at my skin as it burns everything I have ever loved. The house itself is something I didn't care about; it’s just another house that can be rebuilt. However the people inside are all I needed and could never be replaced.

"Mom, Dad; where are you!" I yelled into the red and orange flames. I have to find them, they are all I have. They ground me, protect me; I cannot lose them now when I need them the most.

I tried to gather water through my element, but it hasn't rain in weeks and I'm afraid to use air in case it causes the fire to flame up even more.

Taking off towards the family room, I can hear my parent’s terrified screams and pleas for help. The door was blocked my debris and I couldn't get to them without burning myself in the process. Then the worst odor that no one wants to smell came from the room; it powered through the smells of gas, ashes, and burning wood. It was the smell of skin burning.

At that moment I was running forward ready to claw my way in when I felt hands on the back of my jacket pulling me away. They were strong and I had no energy left; I was literally falling apart when I was pulled outside and roughly push up into a tree.

I knew right away that this guy was an Elemental, but not as powerful as me since he has gloves on and holding chains that I know is a mixture of zinc and lead that harms those like me. I can see other men behind him laughing at the house that crumbles down on the only two people in this world who loved me. With that, it is the only motivation I need to gather energy.

The ground starts to shake, thunder is booming, and lighting is striking. The other men look over at me with fear and the guy holding me turns to run when a tree root grabs him to prevent him from moving. The same happens to the other men. As they are planted in place, I walk around looking each of them in the eyes, but they can't even meet my tear-filled eyes. Cowards, heartless cowards who has destroyed everything that ever matter to me.

I begin to walk away, giving space between me and the men, when I turned and looked at them. Gathering the last of my energy, I pull the fire from my house and form a ring around the men as they begin to scream and thrash for freedom. The heat was so intense, but I didn't care; they deserved to die like my parents. I let the flames wash over them and I stood there watching. I hear their bloodcurdling screams, but I felt nothing towards them; just hate and emptiness.

Finally, I turn towards the woods not looking back, feeling empty and lost. Not really knowing where to go, where to go to feel safe; I just walked. Everything I had was burnt in the fire, now I truly was alone in this world with a curse that has killed others and sooner will consume me like the fire that killed my parents.