Chapter Twenty-Three

                Danni’s POV

You think it would be easy to unscrew the screws on the air vent, but no it’s not. Once again I blame Hollywood for false advertising; they totally make this look easy in movies. For the last few hours, I have been trying to get at least get one screw out, but there are too many layers of paint making it impossible.

Getting up, I grimace at the pain I feel from hand to toe. Walking to the bathroom that they didn’t lock back, thank goodness, I look at my reflection. I have a nasty shiner on my left eye and a perfect hand mark around my neck. Pulling up the dress, there are bruises on both my sides. Luckily he didn’t break any ribs.

Sighing in frustration, I walk back to the bedroom and look at the air vent. There goes my plan. I quickly put everything back in place and I lay on the bed with the nail filer. I begin to file my nails and then it hit me like a ten ton dump-truck. I look at the nail file and then the bracelets that bound my wrists and ankles. Placing the filer between the bracelet and my skin, I begin to file. After five minutes, I stopped to look to see if I made any progress. I smile when I see a little indentation and I quickly went back to work.

After an hour, I am more than halfway through the bracelet. Looking at the clock, I see that it’s five after two. I’m guessing that I have, at the earliest, to six is the morning until someone checks on me. I can’t help, but smile as I get back to work.

                Jace’s POV

I pace back and forth in the hotel room wondering why Danni feels this excited at two in the morning. Tonight at midnight we are attacking Jeremy’s mansion. Damon assured me that Jeremy wouldn’t do anything else tonight to Danni, but in the morning it could be different. The plan is to try to keep Jeremy as busy as possible so that he won’t go near Danni; the only problem is that he is unpredictable and unstable.

We already have the Elementals spread out in case there is a problem and there are some of my pack members roaming around. Luckily Uncle Joe was able to find the spray that mask werewolf scent. The other packs that have joined my side are on call and ready to attack at any given moment.

Lying down on the lumpy mattress, I switch on the T.V and check the weather; for the next four days it’s supposed to rain nonstop which is good for hiding, but bad for fighting. I turned off the T.V and close my eyes, visualizing Danni next to me. The next twenty-two hours are going to be the longest and most agonizing in my life.

                Danni’s POV

It’s six in the morning and I am on my last bracelet. I mentally do a happy dance and I quicken the pace of the nail filer. Finally the bracelet leaves my ankle and I can slowly feel my energy flowing into my body. I run over to the bathroom and wash away any trace the bracelets left behind and sigh in relief.

Sitting on the bed, I try to calm my inner self and relax my body so I can gain back all my energy. Sadly to fully have control over my elements, I need a lot of time to recover since those damn bracelet suck every ounce of energy out of my body. Hopefully Jeremy won’t come back for a while.

My heart falls when I hear someone coming to my door. Please don’t be him; please don’t be him, I repeat in my head over and over. My breathing stalls when the door opens, but I relax when Malinda walks in with a tray of food and a bag of clothes.