Chapter 5 (Edited)

"Will your Mama like me?" Lizzie asked, anxiously. She fiddled with her dress skirt, making sure that it was straight. Her bronze hair was pulled back into a braid with the ends curled.

"Yes," I replied. "She will like you." I took her hand and squeezed it before I opened the door to chaos. I tucked her behind me when someone threw mustard at the door when we opened it. "What is going on here?" I asked, used to the chaotic household when I visited. I squeezed Lizzie's hand when I felt her push up against me, nervous.

Everyone stopped throwing food around and looked at the door. They all blinked and stayed frozen.

"I thought I told you all not to throw food in the living room when I sent you out here," my mother said, coming into the kitchen. She scowled at the mess before looking to see that I was standing at the door. "My baby," she said, clapping her hands together and coming out to me. "He finally visits."

"Sorry, Mom," I said, chuckling. I hugged her, having to lean down to do so. "I have been busy."

She scoffed and rolled her eyes. There was a smile on her face, and I could tell that she wasn't mad. "Busy to see me? Even Parker made time to see me."

"Do you have a new girl on the side?" my fourteen-year-old brother asked. He glanced behind me to see a small girl behind me. "Who is that?"

"This is Elizabeth Farrows," I said, pushing her in front of me. I clutched her shoulder and squeezed it. "She is Harrison Farrows kid. I have been watching her because Harrison has been watching over his mate and his three-month-old baby."

Mom studied my mate before breaking out into a smile. "It's nice to meet you, Elizabeth," she said. "I am Shannon, Axel's mom." She looked at me and raised an eyebrow.

"Lizzie," my mate said, smiling at her. "Everyone calls me Lizzie."

"Well, it is nice to meet you, Lizzie," my mother said.

'She is my mate,' I said, linking her. 'She does or doesn't know it yet.'

Mom nodded her head. "Would you like to help me decorate some cookies? These fools are having to clean the living room." She narrowed her eyes at them, causing them to all scatter to get supplies.

"Yes, Ma'am," Lizzie said, giggling. She gave her a smile, and I could tell that she had my mother wrapped around her finger.

"You can come, too, Axel," she said, looking at me. "And help."

"Yes, Mom," I said, nodding my head. I picked Lizzie up and carried her over the mess.

'She is beautiful,' Mom said, causing me to smile.

'I know.'

***

"So, when are you going to find your mate, Axel?" my dad asked during dinner. "Your sister found hers."

"Dad," my sister, Caroline, warned. She scowled at him before putting her hand on her mate's hand.

Ezekiel, or Zeke, squeezed her hand. He was from a neighboring pack and had come over today to start trying to find his mate. He was around eighteen years old, so he was the same age as Parker.

I shrugged my shoulder. "When I don't have to work," I replied, taking a bite of the steak that Mom had made.

"You can ask Parker for time off. I am sure that the Gamma or Lead Warrior Harrison can watch over the pack," he said.

"My Papa already has long hours just like Alpha Parker and Gamma Wyatt," my mate said, trying to cut into the steak. "It doesn't help that Gamma Wyatt is helping out in another pack at the moment. And, my Papa had a new baby."

My dad narrowed his eyes at my mate, causing me to growl out a small warning that was barely audible. "And, how do you know this?" he asked.

"Simple," she replied. "Axel babysits sometimes, and they talk in the office." She huffed and looked at me. "Can you help me, please?" She gave me puppy dog eyes, causing my heart to melt.

I nodded and took her plate before starting to cut her meat. I gave her a knowing look, causing her to smile innocently.

She was able to cut her steak without help. However, she didn't want to cut it in front of everyone. Because she was of Nosac bloodline, she was stronger than most five-year-olds. Both Parker and I learned that the hard way...

"And why does my son babysit you?" he asked. "It is not like him to offer help to babysit some child."

"It might not be like you, but I have watched Axel help out around the packhouse with mothers and their children before he has gotten to know me and after it."

I pushed the food towards her, causing her to grin her thanks. I could feel Zeke's gaze on me, and I could tell that he knew that she was my mate.

My dad, however, was unaware of it. Or, he was not going to comment on it.

"I would watch your tongue if I were you," my dad said, narrowing his eyes at my mate.

"Or what?" she asked, narrowing her eyes back at him. Stubborn pride filled her veins, and I wasn't surprised that she was challenging him. She was the Lead Warrior's daughter, and her bloodline was the oldest. She didn't back down from a challenge, and I was sure she was going to give me a few gray hairs before I needed them.

"Ok..." Mom said, interrupting him from saying anything. She gave her mate a 'cool it' gaze before looking at Zeke. "So, Ezekiel, what are your plans now that you have met your mate?"

"Mo-om."