Chapter 20- Lizzie's POV

I watched them dance together; their arms wrapped around each other and her head on his chest. They danced slowly to the slow song, not caring about the world around them and only the two of them. They were each others' worlds, each others' hopes and dreams, tied by the Moon Goddess herself by a thin string that could still be cut.

King and Queen, lover and lover, Mother and Father, names that these two people were called on a "normal" basis, but the one thing that stuck out the most was mate. They were mates and had been for years and years, my father being able to find his mate in my mom when he was around the age of five.

They complimented each other like Yin and Yang, my father dominant and strong while my mother was fair and kind. Each one gave what the other lacked or expanded on the qualities that they each had.

They were in love, and it was plain to see while they danced to their heart's content. Their bond was strong, stronger than any I had ever seen, and I wondered if my bond with Axel would be as strong as theirs.

Speaking of Axel, I let my eyes trail across the familiar faces and looked for the man that would become my mate. A small frown appeared on my lips when I didn't see him and worry filled my body.

I knew that the last place I saw him was on the dance floor, for his daughter, Lolita, had pulled him on there just dying to dance with him.

However, they were not there, and I was getting slightly worried because I saw Lolita by the food with Adler and her sister, Bridget.

My stomach tightened in knots and the fear of him leaving me without saying goodbye was strong. My heart pounded in my chest, and my hands shook.

Axel. Where was Axel? Where was he? He should be here.

Again, I let my gaze travel across the ballroom and still did not find him amongst the fray. He was gone, missing and left me on my special day, the dog that I would be able to claim him as my own.

"Looking for someone?" someone asked, teasingly from behind me, and I quickly turned around to see my mate standing there with his hands behind his back. Concern filled his eyes when he caught my frantic look, and he studied me. "Liz?" he asked, the concern showing in his voice. "Wh-" He grunted when I lunged at him but wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into a warm embrace.

"You scared me," I mumbled against his chest. I blinked back tears of relief, a wave of emotion falling over me because he was safe. They, whoever they were, hadn't gotten to him. "I couldn't find you, and I was getting worried."

Axel's body vibrated while he chuckled, and I gently slapped his chest. "I am sorry." He was not sorry. "I had to step out to help put Paige to bed. She had been difficult for Mom, and she wouldn't settle down to fall asleep. It's because she is in a new place."

I lifted my chin and looked up at him, his brown eyes staring into mine with such warmth and happiness that it took my breath away. "Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

A smile played on his lips. "You had left the room when I needed to go, and your block was up, so I wasn't able to contact you."

I pursed my lips but nodded my head. I had been told by my father that it would be difficult for someone to link with me if I didn't do it first. I had no idea that it meant my mate, but it did.

Axel dipped his head and looked at me with a gentle gaze that made me feel whole and complete. "Am I forgiven?" he asked, smiling.

I nodded my head. "Y-" I bit my lip when a shiver went up my spine, and my whole body started to tingle. My heart pounded in my chest, and I knew that I was starting the process of shifting into my wolf form. 'Papa,' I said, instantly and pulled away from Axel.

My father stopped dancing with my mother and looked at me with knowing brown eyes. He nodded his head and whispered something into my mother's ear.

My mother nodded her head, and they both walked over to us. "Come on," she said, taking my mate's hand. "You are to dance with me."

"But..." he looked at me, worriedly. However, he didn't question further while my father nodded his head, and my mother led him away.

"Come," my father said, tearing my gaze away from my mate. He placed his hand on my back and gently lead me to the area he had made for me to shift. "It is time."

And with one last lingering look to my mate, who was making my mom laugh while he spun her around, I followed him, excited for what was about to come.

***

I was on the ground naked, sweaty, and "alone," panting while my body's temperature rose to help me get ready to shift.

I bit back a groan of pain while my bones started to break, slowly. Each bone broke one at a time and twisted until it was a different angle. Each time it happened, I bit my lip to keep myself from screaming. I didn't want to let anyone know that I was here, that I was shifting, even though my father made sure that no one would be able to.

My father... the male that was near me but couldn't help me. He had to watch me suffer in pain like his father before him and his father before him. He wanted to help me, I knew that he did; however, he couldn't, and I knew that it chewed him up.

The curse that befell on us from generations ago worked its grimy hands on me and made it harder for me to shift than it would a normal wolf all because of my bloodline and the fact that we had not found all of the twelve. Each first shift for the children of the original twelve was painful for some reason, all because one of our predecessors had decided to get on the wrong side of a witch.

And, the only way to break it was to find everyone that was part of the original twelve and pray that their bloodline didn't die out like Cage's could if he didn't find someone else to love and loves him.

So, the curse wore on with each new generation of shifters until they were found. That meant Adler, Lisa, and the rest of the children would have to face this, this pain and the splitting of the mind and soul until they passed out from the pain.

And, with a final thought of Axel and a silent prayer of being able to wake up again, I passed out, hoping that I hadn't failed before I began.

I had no idea who would take my place if I didn't.