II. You're Crazy, Dawson

"It was as if I saw my whole life, as if I've already lived it. Going to parties and cotillions with the same mindless people filled with the same mindless chatter. It was like standing in the middle of a crowded room, screaming, but no one looks up."

I walked back to my room from another boring dinner party, pulling at the red dress I was wearing. It was like the dress was suffocating me, and I couldn't breathe.

"Trudy!" I yelled once I got to my room. I got no response, just silence, "Trudy!"

I desperately pulled at my dress and my hair, trying to stop the pain from the tight bun I had in. Tears were flowing down my cheeks as I cried for Trudy.

Something in me snapped and I started throwing things, my hair was now I mess. Then again, did I really care? That's it, don't care.

I ran out of my room, faster than I had ever run before. I was desperate to get away from that room, to get away from it all.

I ran, and ran, and ran until I got to the back of the ship. It was so peaceful, no one but me was back here. Without thinking, I cautiously stepped over the rail, and I was on the edge of the ship. I stared down at the almost black ocean below me. Who knows what's down there.

I let go of the rail with one of my hands, but instantly grabbed it again. I rethought my decision. I can't do this anymore, I'm tired of being someone I don't want to be.

"Don't do it." A familiar voice called from behind me. I knew that voice. It was Jack.

"Please, go away." I pleaded, "I've made up my mind."

"(Y/n)?" Jack asked, I heard him walk closer.

"Stay back." I ordered, "I'll—I'll let go."

I looked back at Jack to see him holding his cigarette up, and motioning he was going to throw it over.

"No you won't." Jack said.

"What?" I asked.

"Well, you would've done it already." Jack said.

"You're distracting me, please, just go." I said a little more aggressively.

"I can't, I'm involved now." Jack said. I smiled a little, and I think he may have noticed.

"You're crazy, Dawson." I said. I looked back at the water, it looked so cold.

    "That's what they all say, but with all do respect, (Y/n), I'm not the one hanging off the back of the ship here." Jack said, he had a point.

"I was hoping you would let me off the hook here, but like I said, I'll jump in there after you." Jack said, I said nothing, "To be honest with you, I'm more concerned about that water being so cold."

"H-how cold?" I ask, trembling because of the cold.

"Freezing." Jack shrugged, "maybe a couple degrees over."

"Oh." I said, it was all I could say. Jack walked a little closer. I lifted my hand as a warning and he stopped.

"You ever been to Wisconsin?" Jack asked, I looked at him confused, but nodded. I had run away to Wisconsin when I was 11.

"Well, then you know that they have some of the coldest winters around." Jack said, I nodded again, "Well, I went ice fishing with my father once, and I fell through some thin ice—"

"Not to be rude, but where is this going?" I asked. Jack smiled.

    "Water that cold, like right down there—" he pointed to the water below us "—it hits you like a thousand knives hitting you all over your body." Jack said, "You can't breathe, you can't think. At least not about nothin' but the pain."

"Woah." I said.

"Please, don't do it." Jack pleaded, holding out his hand. I grabbed his hand. I turned around and met his gaze, his eyes looked right into mine.

"Thank you, Jack." I thanked.

   "Maybe you should save the 'thanks you's til you're back on the ship." Jack said, a playful tone to his words. Jack held my hand while I stepped over the rail. My shoe got caught on my dress and I slipped to what I thought was my death. I let out a horrific shriek but something stopped me from falling, it was Jack.

"Help, please!" I yelled. Jack didn't let go.

"Listen, (Y/n), I got you. I won't let you go." Jack reassured, "Now, pull yourself up!"

I tried pulling myself over the rail, but I slipped again, and let another shriek out. Jack pulled until I was over the rail. We fell to the ground once I was over the rail and he was on top of me. A few tears fell from my eyes and Jack wiped them away with the pad of his thumb.

"Hey, it'll be okay, I got you." Jack said in a comforting tone.

"What's all this?" I heard one of the stewards ask.

"Shit." I whispered. He looked at my ripped dress, then at Jack with a look of disgust. Oh no, he's at the wrong place in the wrong time.

"Stand back, and don't move an inch!" The steward yelled at Jack, "Fetch the master at arms!"

Once they came to handcuff Jack, I tried to say something, to stop them. But I was paralyzed. I couldn't process anything.

"(Y/n), are you okay?" Rose asked, rubbing my back.

"He didn't do anything to me." I said, looking at Rose.

"What do you mean? He tried to assault you." Rose said.

"He saved my life." I said, "Cal, stop!"

I walked over and pulled him away from Jack. I looked at Jack and he slightly smiled at me.

"He didn't do anything to me, he saved me." I said, everyone looked at me like I was insane.

"He—What?" Cal asked.

"I was leaning over the rail and I slipped." I said, it wasn't a lie. But there's no way I was telling them what actually happened. I knew I'd have to tell Rose, though.

"I was leaning far over, and to see the, uh, propellers." I said.

"The propellers?" Cal asked, "She wanted to see the propellers."

"Like I say, women and machinery don't mix." Carnell said. I rolled my eyes, and looked at Jack.

"Was that the way of it?" The mater at arms asked. I looked at Jack, giving him a pleading look.

"Yeah, that was pretty much it." Jack said, glancing at me.

"The boy's a hero then!" Carnell said. I smiled, he is. More than they'll ever know. 

"Well, thank you for saving my sister's life, Jack." Rose said. Jack looked a little confused on how she knew his name but he shrugged it off. They master at arms cut him loose.

"Perhaps a little something for the boy?" Carnell suggested.

"Right." Cal said, "I think a twenty should do it."

"Is that the going rate for saving your future sister in law?" I asked, sending a smile to Jack.

"(Y/n) is displeased, what to do?" Cal asked, "Perhaps you would like to join us for dinner tomorrow night?"

"Count me in." Jack said, not taking his eyes off of me.

"Let's go get you warmed up." Cal said. I shook my head.

"You guys go, I'll catch up." I said, Rose nodded and I was left alone with Jack.

"You sure you'll be okay?" Jack asked.

"I'll be fine, Dawson." I said, smiling, "Thanks for the save."

"Anytime, (Y/n)." Jack said. I could feel my face reddening.

"I'll see you around, Jack." I said, Jack nodded and we went our separate ways. All though I walked back to my room with a wide smile on my face.