Chapter 1

Confusion

That one word that describes the feeling of people around me. They don't know who I am. They don't know what I am. All they know, is that I'm there. They don't see me come and they don't see me go, but they see me when I'm there.

They try and find me, study me, figure out what I might be. But they will never catch me. They will never know.

Not even the man on the phone. I can see him through the window on his door. He almost had me, almost caught me. But as usual, I slipped through his fingers.

I knew Commissioner Gordon was a smart man. That's as why I liked messing with him so much. He thinks of me a criminal, a delinquent, when all I want to do is have some fun. I guess this is why I like Jack Frost so much.

I wanted, no, I needed to know who he was talking to, because I knew it was about me. He has been trying to catch me for months. I wonder if its...no, it couldn't be. I'm not that important. Gordon wouldn't send HIM after me.

Deciding to act I peeked behind me to make sure the hallway were still empty. Then I leaned back against the wall and my entire body sunk into the wall, becoming nothing more than a shadow.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror that balanced on the wall opposite. No longer was my physical form visible, only the outline of myself in a shadow form. A silhouette of my human appearance.

I walked along the wall and slid into Gordon's office along the crack between the closed door and its frame. Only because I am a shadow and I can fit through places like that.

I ran over to the bookcase and concealed myself in its own shadow. The look on his face was intense, he was very serious about what he was saying.

"What! No. She can't do that. Do you know what kind of damage she has caused?" Gordon said. He paused for a moment, listening to what the other person said. He sighed for a long time and rubbed his forehead.

"Alright." He finally spoke. Then hanging up the phone, he sat down in his chair. Gordon held his head in his hands and breathed in deeply.

Ugh, why had I missed the rest of the conversation? And what was Gordon so convinced that I couldn't do? Well, I guess I'll have to find out tomorrow, it's way past midnight and I desperate need my sleep.

I slip out the way I came, and head along the walls of the police station. There weren't many people around, so I didn't worry about being careful.

Eventually after slipping through many cracks in the door, I was out in the street. Walking along the city walls until I was at least a few streets away from the police station.

When I assumed it was safe, I leapt out of the wall and reclaimed my physical form. Immediately I felt the cool, night air sweep across my body. I couldn't see the full moon anymore, because it was covered by storm clouds that had come over the city.

The walk home would take me long, but that's okay. I didn't really want to go back to an empty apartment anyway. I usually just spent my nights put on the town, if not in my shadow form then usually at McDonalds.

Some people wouldn't even dare to do this, walking home alone I mean. The streets of Gotham are no place for a fourteen year old girl to be walking alone, even more so at night. That was okay though. Not many people would notice me, my all black clothing and natural ability to conceal myself among the shadows.

In the slight chance that they did though, I could be easily able to fight them off.

Finally reaching my apartment building, I turned down the alleyway next to it and started to climb up the fire escape. I've lost count of how many times I have been on this thing. Well, so many times at least, that I now don't make any sound whatsoever.

Reaching and unlocking my window was an easy task. Once I was safely inside my apartment, I closed the window and leaned against the wall.

Tonight had been a good night. I smiled at the thought of what I had done. Seeing the face of the Commissioner was all worth it.

I walked towards my fridge to get a fanta, when I heard a sound coming from somewhere around the lounge. I didn't turn on the light because, well, I am basically the dark. I can see perfectly.

I bent down and pulled the knife out of my boot. Not a split second later though, there was a sharp pain in my neck and I stumbled backwards.

I reached to where it was stinging and pulled out a dart, that had probably injected me with some kind of tranquilliser. My eyes went wide and I knew I needed to get out of here.

But then my vision was all blurry, and my hearing was completely out. I fell to the ground, landing on my knees, and then falling to my back.

The pain from the needle was still there, spreading all around my neck. I tried to move but I couldn't, my body was completely paralysed. The only thing that I could actually feel, was the fast beating of my heart in my chest.

The last thing I saw was a pair of big, black boots walking towards me.