Chapter 8: Sunday 11th February

The angry wind swept wild, loose strands of what could be mistaken for black silk across my expressionless face. My hair was tied in a side braid that hung tightly over my left shoulder, just so it didn't get in my way while fighting. My clenched hands felt sweaty underneath my gloves, but I wouldn't admit that I was actually nervous, never.

I lifted my hand and barely touched the mask Robin had gave me. My heart warmed slightly at the realisation he had actually thought about me. Not only that, but he had acted upon it, gone out of his way to help me.

I looked up at the faraway night sky. Unlike Gotham, the moon's radiant light lit up the uneven streets of Starling City. The bright beams rained down upon the towering skyscrapers, casting long, thick shadow behind them.

This felt real. This felt peaceful. This felt like the pieces of my jigsaw puzzle world were finally finding each other and fitting into place. Standing here, in this costume, it gave me a purpose. I wasn't just some lonely orphan girl trying to annoy the police anymore, I was a hero. I actually felt like I was worth something.

"Are you ready?" Artemis asked as she walked steadily up beside me.

She hadn't forgiven for me for what I had done, only because she said that there was nothing that she needed to forgive. Surprisingly, she placed absolutely no blame on me, only on the Joker, when it was my fault anyway. My greatest fear, was that I'd place her in even more danger tonight.

"Born ready." I replied.

She laughed at my eagerness. "Black Canary and Green Arrow should be coming out that door any second now." She said, tilting her head in the direction of the hidden Arrow Cave.

Walking over to the red bricked wall of the dusty alley, I leaned my head head against its cool, but rough surface. Closing my eyes I listened to sounds of the city around me. Police sirens wailing, people yelling, the general buzz of car engines. Typical things that you would hear in even Gotham.

"Alright, let's go." Green Arrow said as he walked out of the hidden entrance, Canary following behind him.

##########

Three men rounded the corner into an alley as a bank alarm sounded in the distance. They held burlap sacks which they had used to carry their stolen goods. All of them wore black balaclavas, hiding their face from police and other onlookers. Onlookers like us.

"You girls take this." Canary said to me and Artemis.

We nodded, stood up, and swung ourselves over the edge of the block of apartments that all four do us were currently standing on. Quietly but quickly, we made our way down the fire escape that decorated the middle of the wall.

The alleyway was a dead end. I guess the stupid criminals hadn't thought about that when they planned this heist. Once they were standing up close to the wall, Artemis and I jumped down from our hiding spots with a loud thud, just to let them know that we were here.

Immediately their heads snapped up to meet our hard gaze. Simultaneously their eyes narrowed and their fists clenched. They dropped the bags full of money and charged at us. One had a gun, and the other two had knives.

I ran forward at the man with the gun, ducking to the right to avoid the bullet that whizzed by my ear. I was a few feet away when he shot again. I slipped to the left, hearing the clunking sound of bullet on pavement behind.

Quick as the flash I was in front of him, grabbing his gloves right hand which held the glove, and twisting it unnaturally. He grunted in pain and I hoped he would let go of the gun, but he didn't. I kneed him in the stomach and his other hand immediately when across his torso to somehow help ease the pain.