Chapter 12: Monday, 19th February

It was strange. Going through 'abandoned' buildings with others wasn't what I usually did. Things like these were done alone, no one else knew about them.

Our minds were linked by Miss Martian's psychic ability, one of the the many amazing powers she had acquired.

No sounds were heard as we made our way through the cold, dusty corridors of the second floor building. Cobwebs decorated corners in the roof and mice ran past as we ventured deeper into the darkness.

I couldn't help but feel slightly rattled. I reasoned with myself that it was because it was my first mission, though I knew I had a subconscious fear that any other emotions were on on the brink of rising.

We reached the end of a hallway, and split into two pathways; left and right. Robin stepped up, his casual attire gone, instead replaced with his black and red Robin costume. I hadn't realised he had been assigned to this mission until we went to step aboard the bio-ship. And I had a sneaking feeling that the reason Batman took him away was to talk about this particular mission.

"Alright team, let's split up. Kidflash, Artemis and Miss Martian take the right hall, while me and Shadow will take the left. Okay?" Robin said, or thought.

"Understood." We all responded.

Me and Robin crept along the barely hall, making sure to stop once and a while to make sure nothing was behind us. We said nothing, and heard nothing. It was as if this building was really abandoned, but I knew better than to underestimate Batman.

Eventually we came to a corner, and something around dropped to the ground. Robin gave me a knowing look, and we advanced towards it.

Our steps were slow, and silent. There was no noise in the hall, nothing except whatever had dropped had made a noise. In front of me, Robin readied himself at the turn. I pulled out my staff, swinging it behind my back as it extended. I was so glad I put in those extra one-on-one training sessions with Canary.

In an instant we both darted around the across the floor, in position to fight whatever was there.

A few rats scurried away from tin can that rolled over to the wall. Robin sighed shortly while I cursed under my breath.

"Found anything yet?" He though to the other three.

"No nothing." Kidflash answered.

"Chances are, they've left the building already. Vacated so they didn't get caught." Artemis suggested.

"Maybe, but we have to keep looking. Just keep going, if need be, split up again. Okay?" Robin asked, but there was no answer.

"M'gann, are you there?" He asked frantically.

"Artemis?" I questioned worriedly. "Kidflash? Anyone?"

"Something's made the link go down. We need to find them and figure what's really going on." Robin instructed, looking at holograms maps of their location on his arm computer thing. "But we can now be sure that this building is being used for something more."

"Right you are, little birdy." A high pitched voice came from behind us.

I whirled around, staff at the ready to fight.

"I'm so glad you brought her to me, little birdy." A girl, no more than thirteen, stepped out from her hiding place within the shadows. Her long, blonde hair with tied in two pigtails that rested upon the top of her head, one dipped in red and the other in black. She wore a black leather, red diamonds printed on it, and pants to match. Her mask was quite like mine, black with but out for eyes.