Chapter 25: Thursday 22nd February

The walls were white, as were the bed sheets that Zoella was currently herself up in. Her appearance reminded me of a small little puppy, trying to get warm under the blankets on a cold, winter's night.

I had been sitting by her bedside for almost all of the day, and slept in the chair I currently occupied all last night. I had sat here while she drifted in and out of consciousness; having the smallest of conversations when she did awake.

My room was literally no more than a two minute walk away from the infirmary, but I hadn't wanted to sleep in there while Zoella was here; injured. It was true I had visited my room on several occasions throughout the time that I arrived from the Batcave up until present, but I just couldn't seem to stay in there.

So the alternative was walking around The Cave talking to the team; who hadn't attended school today because of minor injuries that would've been considered suspicious.

Well, a few of them just wanted a day off.

"Ugghhh." Zoella moaned - letting me know she was awake - and turned over so she was facing me. Her eyes had lost their magical purple colour, inepstead replaced with a vibrant green. I was told it was due to the amount of energy she had exhausted.

"How are you feeling?" I asked her.

She chuckled, then clutched her chest and showed a look of irritation. "I'm feeling the same way I was feeling the last time you asked me." She answered, then took her hand from her chest and placed it on her head dramatically. "Why does the aftermath of being taken hostage have to feel so much like a hangover?"

I smiled and laughed slightly, then frowned. "How do you know what a hangover feels like? You're seventeen."

Zoella smiled awkwardly. "Let's not talk about that." She said. And before I could get another word in, she spoke again. "Have you seriously been sitting here all day?"

"I've walked around a bit, but yeah." I said. At that moment my muscles decided to wake up and realise how much they hurt, and I instinctively flexed my limbs. "I didn't want you to wake up alone."

"Well, get out." Zoella ordered. "I can see you need a stretch. Besides, I'm going to be in here for a few weeks at the least. Doctor said even though I will be fine, all my ribs - plus other things - are still broken."

"Okay," I said unsurely, "but I'll be back." I told her, getting up and heading for the door.

I turned the handle and budged the door, but spared a second to look back at my bedridden friend. Her returning gesture was a flick of her hand to shoo me out the door.

The grey, metal wall of the hall were quite a change from the bright white of the infirmary. I didn't bother trying to make my footsteps light and undetectable as I walked along them.

The halls soon opened up into the kitchen, where I exchanged a few short, pleasant words with my friends. But then the kitchen turned into hallway again, and didn't open up until I got to the control room.

The brief memory of when I first zeated into this exact space fleeced into my thoughts. It had been almost a month since that happened; and in that month so much had occurred. And despite all the horrors and shocks I had encountered; like finding out Zoella wasn't dead, it still had its loveable moments.

I had gained an entire group of friends, as well as an amazingly perfect boyfriend if I do say so myself.

And I had gotten Zoella back - for good this time.

"How's Zoella?" Thorn was standing with Rachel and Rose in the middle of the control room, next to a hologram showing the map of a city I recognised as New York. Thorn had two large suitcases by her feet.