Chapter 19: Wednesday 21st February

I'd always found a roof was the perfect place to sit in times of trouble and worry. I've done a lot of sitting on rooves in my past, most of them thinking about the same person I am now. But it was different this time, because I knew she was alive.

"We'll get her back." Robin said from beside me.

"They've outsmarted us twice now." I put my head in my hands. "I just got her back."

Robin wrapped a comforting arm around my shoulder. "You'll get her back again. It's not the first time we've lost a fight, but I don't intend on losing the war. Just try to stay whelmed."

I looked up at him weakly. "I'm sorry."

"For what."

"Everything." I answered. "Running out on you, hurting you... dragging you into my messy life."

"There's nothing to be sorry for." He sighed. "Everyone goes through a time in their life where they feel like the whole world is coming down on top of them."

I stayed silent for a short time, and laid my head against his shoulder. "Shouldn't we be down their helping?" I asked.

"Batman and Commissioner Gordon will call us if they need us." Robin chuckled lightly. "He didn't look to pleased to see you."

I grinned. "No, he didn't. But the looks on his face are what used make me smile."

He turned his head to face me more. "What makes you smile now?" He asked softly.

Sheepishness overcome my face, adding to slight blush that heated it. "A lot of things." I said quietly.

Robin laughed lightly and pressed his lips onto mine, while his free hand circled my waist. It was a nice kiss, went for about twenty seconds before we broke apart and I rested my forehead against his.

"I'm sorry." He breathed.

"What for?" I asked, confused.

He grinned devilishly. "For not doing that earlier."

As if the moment couldn't get anymore cliché, light rain started to fall on our heads.

"Should we go inside?" I asked, not really wanting to.

I looked over when Robin didn't answer. He shot me a sorrowful glance, pointing to the com. link in his ear which I assumed Batman was talking into.

"We'll be down now." He said, signing off. He then turned to me. "Sorry about that, but they have a lead."

"Really?" I sat up straight, eager to learn what had been discovered. "What is it?"

"Zoella's being held at the orphanage where you two grew up." He shook his head in distaste. "It's just like the Joker to stage something like this."

Robin released me from his hold, standing up and offering me his hand, which I took. Standing up, I hugged my arms around my waist and walked across the long roof with Robin to the staircase door. He opened the door and gestured for me to go back down into the Gotham Police Station. I was about too as well, when I remembered something.

"I left my phone where we were sitting." I said suddenly. "I'll just quickly go and grab it."

"I'll wait here then." Robin answered.

"No it's okay, you go down. I don't want you to get into trouble with Batman. Tell him I'll be down in a minute."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

He took a deep breath. "Okay. Just don't be too long, or you'll be the one getting in trouble."

I smiled and turned as he disappeared down the stairs. I jogged over to ledge I was recently sitting on, discovering my phone was not where I had left it. I swivelled on my heels, studying my surroundings for a hint of where it had gone, or who had taken it.

"Looking for this?"

I spun around to be met with a red headed girl, dressed all in green.

"Thorn." I growled. She nodded her head in greeting, while I stood prepared to fight. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to talk." She answered.

"What the hell do you want to talk about?" I asked. "And why do you have my phone?"

"I want to talk about Zoella, I have useful information." She shrugged. "And I guess I have your phone because it was the only the way I could think of on short notice, to have a conversation with you."

I nodded, lowering my defences, just a little bit. "Well, what do have to tell me?"

"Uh-uh. First, I need you to promise two things." Thorn said. "One, you tell no one I gave you this information. And two, you find me a way out of Gotham, so I can disappear."

I considered this, wanting to question her motives for disappearing, but decided against it.

"Fine. Now tell me about Zoella." I demanded. "But don't bother telling me she at my old orphanage, I already know that."

"But see, that's exactly what I've come to tell you. She's not." Thorn stated. "It was a false lead. Zoella's not at the orphanage where you grew up, she's at the orphanage where Wildcard grew up."

"How do I know I can trust you?" I asked.

"You don't." She answered. "But honestly, I don't want anything to do with this little revenge plan of Wildcard's. And I don't really want to see your friend killed. If Harley Quinn was anything like the Joker, I'm glad she's dead."

My eyes widened at her harshness, her hate. "What about your Mum? Wasn't Ivy good friends with Quinn?"

"I think so. I don't know. I don't really care either." Thorn looked around. "I better get going, the other two will start to wonder where I've gone."

She threw my phone back to me, which I caught in an easy catch. She jumped onto the ledge, and turned around to look at me again. "Until next time, Shadow." She said, then proceeding to jump of the roof.

I didn't run over and check if she was okay. I knew she would be okay, they always were.

Now to tell Batman my news. Of course, I'd have to work out a cover up story first. I wouldn't let anyone know it was Thorn who told me - I liked to keep my promises.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello my lovely readers!

I went through my chapter before I wrote this, and I couldn't find a part where it said some villan's associations with their protégés, so I wanted to clarify that:

Riddlerette is Riddler's niece. Thorn is Ivy's daughter. And of course Wildcard id Joker's and Harley Quinn's daughter.

And, I've changed the title as you may have noticed. I just thought that it suits the book better. Tell me if you preferred the other name though.

So keep on reading, and I'll see you next chapter to see what happens...