18

september 2, 2020; 7:40 pm

yoongi's p.o.v:

it's been a while since i actually visited my mom, with university keeping me busy, i'd always come home at our (hana, minsook, and i) apartment drained and stressed.

now that minsook's mother had offered to look out for her daughter after hearing she had a high fever, hana decided that she, as well, need to see her parents.

well, with the things that have happened yesterday, we really needed someone that could give us some comfort other than ourselves.

looking up from the dishes that i'm washing, i saw my mom at the living room, watching the drama that she has been lately into.

mom... she looked a little older since the last i saw her before i left to attend university. her wrinkles are a lot visible now and her once black hair are now tainted with grey ones.

i wonder how was she doing yesterday since it has become a habit of hers to still celebrate jeongguk's birthday even after he had passed away.

come to think of it, i haven't even shoot her a text yesterday to check in on her.

turning the tap off, i walked over where she's sat, "so mom, what have you been doing yesterday?"

"well, you remember your brother's favorite food?"

"lamb skewers, of course i do."

"you can bet that i grilled a lot yesterday and have it for breakfast all the way to dinner," she chuckles, sighing before a small but sad smile made its way onto her face, "and of course out of habit, i still prepared three servings of food."

"i'm really sorry i didn't sent you a text last night, mom," i replied, looking down at my hands, "i promise to keep in touch more next time."

my mom didn't reply, but instead i felt something land on my head and then the next thing i know, her gentle hands are giving me head pats.

mom only smiled.

~~~

9:00 pm

"you feeling better?" i asked through the phone, i could hear something rustling at the other line before minsook finally replies, "still kinda dizzy and a little anxious — it's a little cheesy, but i started checking if there's something under my bed ever since this afternoon," she replies.

minsook sounds more like herself now, unlike awhile ago before hana and i left the apartment, maybe it's just her fever getting in her head that made her act that way.

well, i hope that was really the case.

anyway, i took a deep breath, my eyes wandering around the room, checking every corner where the light doesn't reach. my pen sits between my fingers while a pile of blank papers lie on top of my old study desk — still waiting to be filled with essay drafts. bending a little, i then look under the cramped space of my table and after making sure that there's nothing unusual, i straightened up myself.

"has hana called you yet?"

"she already did just a while ago before you rang my phone," minsook says.

she stayed quiet but i could tell there's something she still want to add so i kept my mouth shut and waited until she finishes.

a beat or two, she finally continues, "you... don't think something's gonna happen now that the three of us are separated, right? i mean, that's how people die in horror movies," minsook chuckles with no humor, nervousness evident in her voice.

just as i was about to reply, minsook sneezed, interrupting my thoughts.

"i guess that's your sign to go to sleep now, you're body is probably still exhausted, hana and i will pick you up tomorrow."

"okay... yeah okay i guess i should call it a night."

"call me if something comes up, alright?"

"aye.." as soon as she says that, i pull the phone away from my ear and ended the call.

i stared at my phone, seeing my reflection on the screen, what minsook had said continue to repeat in my head, "that's how people die in horror movies, huh?" i echoed her words as jeongguk's distorted face flash in my mind making me wince.

clicking my tongue before looking back at the pile of blank papers, i throw my pen over before bringing up my hand over my face, tension building up on my shoulders. i suppose i should be worrying more about the series of events that have happened yesterday rather than stressing over an essay that is due over a month.

i'm too stressed to think of a coherent sentence to write down anyway.

i stand up from my seat and walk out of my room before heading into the bathroom to brush my teeth.

ugh, my shoulders feels so stiff...

bringing my hand over my shoulder, i then start to massage the area where the stress had built up, rolling my arms as well as i try to ease my muscles up and while walking towards the bathroom, i walk past my mother's room and noticed that the door is a little ajar.

for some reason, my stomach started to churn and cold sweat started to break out. my eyes widened at the familiar rush of adrenaline and before i could even register what i just did, i burst inside of the said room.

i heaved out a big sigh of relief.

nothing is out of the ordinary — it's just mom peacefully sleeping on her bed.

once i have confirmed that there is nothing to worry about, i silently stepped out of the room before closing the door carefully, trying my very best to not let the hinges creak.

after reaching the bathroom, i quickly got my toothbrush before applying a good amount of toothpaste on top of the bristles and while doing so, i tilted my head from side to side as i still could feel the stiffness of my muscles.

i guess the stress got into me huh? couldn't blame myself though, with university kicking my ass, and supernatural events suddenly started happening again that's just have to add itself to the pile — who wouldn't be stressed over that?

as i finally started brushing my teeth, my eyes finally looked up from the sink and into the mirror.

my actions came into a halt after seeing my reflection.

there's a pair of thin white legs sitting on top of my shoulders.

————

AND I AM BACK, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN — well sorta hHHHHH BUT!!! RECENTLY, I'VE BEEN INSPIRED TO WRITE AGAIN SO WE SHALL SEE IF THAT INSPIRATION WILL BE ENOUGH TO MAKE ME FINISH THIS BOOK WITHIN THIS YEAR

NO PROMISES THO :D

also i haven't written in a very long while so i apologize for my writing skills ( ;∀ ;)

TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS IN THE COMMENT SECTION (≧▽≦)