Chapter 11

Students boarded into the bus one by one. The teacher, Ms. Amanda, was head counting each person.

I quickly sat on a seat at the front, and looked over to see Leia, getting scolded by the other teacher to sit quickly and go at the back of the van.

She shrugged and passed me a 'what can I do?' look. And walked to the backbenchers.

I sighed sadly, preparing myself for the two hour long road trip that I'll have to suffer without my best friend. I took out my iPod from my bag, and plugged my headphones in it. Tugging each in my ears.

I looked out the window to see light rain pouring out and glistening the dark grey roads. People running across the busy street, trying not to get wet by the rain.

I heard laughter from my side, breaking my train of thoughts, A laugh I knew all too well. Damien laughed beautifully, Ms. Amanda and him were chattering loudly.

Ms. Amanda was the funny and cute teacher that everyone liked. She had long dark brown hair, big brown eyes, which were covered by large framed glasses. She wore a black turtle neck and a light brown coat apron top.

There was no doubt in saying that she was indeed, very pretty. The kind of pretty that maybe Damien preferred.

They both sat on the seat across me, Damien was facing me and Ms. Amanda was facing Damien,
He caught my eye but looked away just as quick.
As much as I loathed that.

They both were conversing with each other and seemed oblivious to their surroundings. Damien's eyes were sparkling indicating that he was enjoying talking to her.

They looked so lost in each other. Damien but his lip and smiled as she kept ranting on about something. He wasn't even listening, his eyes were just flickering to different parts of her face.

I felt tears filling my ugly eyes, threatening to roll down my cheeks any minute.

I started feeling very lonely, I didn't have any shoulder to cry on. The air in the bus was cold, I hugged my black jacket closer to my body, and just on cue the bus started moving.

I bit my lip and looked out the window, trying to find something of my interest.

I looked at the grudging grey clouds and the sad sleepy weather.

I couldn't help but overhear the conversation Ms. Amanda and Damien were having. She was talking about how the some other teacher was leaving the school and Damien just listened to her with his chin in his palm and smiled.

I dilated my eyes away from them and at the back of the bus, spotting Leia.

She was happily chattering alway with a girl, she had  saturated purple hair and several piercings; on her eyebrows; a silver lipring and a black septum.

It looked as if everybody, except me, was having fun. Buzzing with chatter and scrolling and typing away on their phones, laughing among each other.

I turned the volume of my music, which was playing on my iPod, higher and it seemed as if it suddenly drowned all the noises.

Which was somehow better, but not really as all the songs on my playlist had a sickly sad ring to them. I don't think I had any happy or uplifting songs on my iPod.

I glanced over to them to see Ms. Amanda hand dishevelling Damien's hair. Her hand ruffled his hair and he was bent down, as he was too tall. Apparently, She was saying how soft his hair was.

I snorted, she was pathetic.

I was angry, to say the least. I always had the urge to ran my hands through Damien's hair, but she was getting that luxury.

Tears weld up in my eyes, and started pouring down my cheeks. I turned my face to the window, trying not to get embarrassed. I was wanting to cry for hours and now finally, I was letting it all out.

Who was I kidding? I could never have Damien. Our worlds were different. He was 26 and I was just 17, we could never be with each other. I needed to stop fantasising over him, and I should know that he doesn't feel the same.

I was too caught up in my thoughts to notice someone plopping down on the seat next to me. I quickly wiped my tears dry by the palm of my hands.
I turned my head around to see Damien sitting on the seat next to me, ever so casually.

He felt my piercing eyes on him, as his eyes slowly left the phone's screen and met mine. I part my lips, unintentionally. I meant to say a hello, but nothing came out of my stupid mouth.

He squint his eyes on my face and said "were you crying?"doubtingly.

I pursed my lips together and looked away.

"Look at me, why were you crying?" He asked again.

I start laughing, hysterically. It was loud and fake and just to avoid answering the question. I probably looked crazy to Damien.

He took that as a yes and looked at me concerned. His eyes filled with worry and pity for me, his lips into a frown, but I had had enough pity from a lot of people throughout the years. And I certainly didn't want more, especially from him.

"No need to worry about me, don't you see, I'm perfectly fine" I said smoothly and scrolled through my iPod to play another song.

I glanced at him again and I don't think I've ever had such a strong urge to instantly die of a heart attack.

His eyes were on my wrists as he gasped.

Quickly dropping the phone from his hands and simultaneously grabbed my wrist. "What the fuck?" He whispered, as if only to himself.

His finger traced along my cuts and he winced.

His head snapped towards mine, "Why do you do this to yourself Belle?" He asked, voice dripping with pity.

I, just stared at his beautiful face with a rigid expression. And this time I wasn't faking it. He kept observing my arms in his own reverie.

"Why did you come here? To sit with me, I mean." I asked out of the blue, he was almost surprised that I was speaking.

"Because I wanted to." He said quickly,"Do you want me to sit somewhere else?"

At this I replied "No"almost too quickly. He chuckled quietly, "I thought so." He whispered.

His gaze flickered to my lips for a moment and then back to his phone.

I leaned down on my seat and kept listening to music, and biting my bottom lip until it started to sting.

Most of the students were already drifted off into a tired sleep. The rain outside; the dark grey clouds;and the low light in the van, were the reasons why everyone was sleepy.

My eyelids felt heavy and my whole body felt tired, but I fought against it. I wanted to cherish every single moment with Damien that I could.

He was texting someone and laughing, momentarily.

As my eyelids closed, on the corner of my eyes, I saw the name 'Amanda' written clearly on the chat, on Damien's phone.