Chapter 6: Just Like a Scary Movie (Part 3/3)

A symphony of mellow clacks came from around the corner, it wasn't just someone, it was a large group of someones. The two jumped away from the wall, going with the natural adolescent reaction by instinctively fixing their clothes and hair to erase any evidence of their troublesome behaviour.

          An entourage of casually dressed teenagers came around the corner in a disorganised group, two students in black uniforms streaked with silver manned the front, and another two held up the rear. The two in the front were clearly visible with their distance. One was an tall and nimble caramel skinned girl, with her thick black hair tied back in a braid, and the other was a prestigious, pasty looking boy, dwarfed by his partners towering figure.

          "What are you two doing wandering the halls alone? You get lost?" the girl called, marching the group of students towards them.

          Vera put on a mask of innocence and smiled politely, curling a small strand of hair along her finger. "Yeah, we were looking for the bathroom and got a little lost."

          The group was now upon them, with dozens of eyes weighing down on the two misplaced students. The prestigious boy didn't looked convinced. "Both of you?"

          The tall girl broke in before her partner could get an answer. "Maybe we can help you find your groups. I'm Misha and this is Astor."

          "Astor Baldwin," the boy corrected. "What colour are your cards?"

          They both showed the guides their silver cards.

          "Ah, you're in luck, this is the silver group." Misha smiled. "You two can join in the group wherever, we're showing you guys around so you won't get as lost."

           Káel and Vera obediently joined the outer layer of the horde, ignoring the fact they were being stared at by multiple sets of eyes. Maybe it was due to the straying cobwebs stuck to their feet, or their rosy cheeks and slouchy postures that gave away their previous fit of running. Nonetheless, as the group marched on, the two could hear the oblivious stage whispering from multiple parties within the mass, and most of it had to do with them.

          Vera wasn't talking anymore. She silently walked near the back of the group, acting like the people around her didn't exist. She didn't even fancy interacting with Káel, who remained hushed as well due to his only acquaintance's lack of conversation.

          A small girl was behind them, talking to one of the guides. Although Káel couldn't see her, her mellow and shy whispers were surprisingly loud. "I -I wonder why th-th-they didn't use the lobby bathroom, it's p-pretty big." A male voice grunted in response to her question. "And they l-look like they ran halfway around the s-school." There was another grunt. "Do you r-really think they went looking for a bathroom?"

          "Why don't you ask them and not me?" the guide finally responded. "And do you have to hover around me? Why don't you go find some friends?"

          "They're all t-tall, and scary."

          Káel tried to peek over his shoulder at the two, but immediately met eyes with a short wavy haired girl. She was quick to pointlessly apologize for catching his attention, and cowered away behind the guide she was talking to. They both looked similar, wavy black hair and hazel eyes, only the guide had a slightly darker olive tone to his skin; siblings.

           The guide pushed his sister out from behind him, and acknowledged Káel's attention to their conversation. He started to question her as to why she apologized to people like it was a greeting, but only received even more apologies. Finally, he shoved her up to Káel and ordered her to make some friends, which she shyly refused.