XVIII. the truce

Chapter 18

To ease his stress, Leo got up from his bed and was about to grab a random book when suddenly, the door flew open and there stood his friend Augustus. His brows meet, lips into a thin line.

"What were you thinking, Leo?" Augustus angrily blurted out. His fists in his side, eager to kiss Leo's face.

'Oh, shoot!' exclaimed Leo in his mind. Augustus, after all, did notice the soldier following them a while ago.

Leo can perfectly see how angry his friend is. Who wouldn't be, right? Unless you really don't fancy your date.

Leo remained in his seat, his fingers tapping against the wooden desk. His eyes focused on the wide varieties of books on his side.

"I asked you, Leo. What were you thinking about following Clementine and I a while ago?" Augustus angrily uttered, standing next to Leo's desk. His arms crossed.

Still, Leo kept his mouth shut. Began to regret all his stupidity.

Augustus has a strong feeling that his friend won't answer him. He knows his friend very much.

"Next time, soldier, try not wearing your favorite tophat when spying, it spoils the whole thing," Augustus said, shrugging.

"I was just making sure Clementine would be alright, okay?" answered Leo, now looking up at his triggered friend.

due to what Leo had said, Augustus cannot help himself from raising his right brow at how unbelievable what Leo just spoked.

"Why? Am I some sort of rapist for you to worry about? Goodness gracious, Leo, how immature can you be," added Augustus as he began walking around the room, his loud footsteps can be heard.

"Okay, okay, I was being plain stupid, okay? I didn't know what I was thinking for me to do that," replied Leo as he stopped tapping the wooden desk.

"Well, good for you to know that Mr. Know-it-all," uttered Augustus.

Leo cannot, of course, stop himself from feeling ashamed as he turns his attention to his black shoes.

"I'm sorry, okay? I promise I won't do it again. I promise I'll make it up to you," apologized Leo, sincerely. His tone is like a kid who just got caught for sneaking in Christmas' eve for peaking at the presents.

For that, Augustus released a sarcastic laugh and said, "I mean, I just don't get it, why in the world would you even do that? spying on us is bad enough but doing something to destroy our date? wrong move, man, seriously," as he shook his head, really disappointed at how Leo just acted. Very childish, indeed.

"I really am sorry, Augustus. I was just being paranoid and stupid at the same time," apologized Leo once again. Judging by his tone and his face, he truly is regretting what he just did.

But it seems like his friend Augustus can't see that because Augustus remained angry as hell. Ready to destroy everything, even their friendship.

"Oh, come on, Leo, that's the exact thing you said when you murdered your whole family," blurted Augustus. Right after he said that he knew he's going to regret it big time.

"You know I didn't do it, Augustus. You know it," replied Leo as he began shaking his head. His face becomes pale as if he just can't believe what his friend just said.

His friend told what really happened that night. His friend whom he didn't lie to. His friend whom he loved like his family. He knew it.

Instead of apologizing at what just came out from his mouth, Augustus too began to shake his head and uttered the words, "Believe me, Leo, I don't know what really happened that night. I mean, what you told me that night and what I saw in your clothes tell me otherwise,"