XXVIII. runaway

Chapter 38

It has been about an hour since I left Leo sleeping in his house. It has been an hour of constant crying and walking. My feet began to ache. My eyes are all red from crying and my tears are already dry.

I tried waiting for a carriage to pass by but I seem to not find any. Riding Leo's horse crossed my mind but immediately shrugged it off since I don't know how to ride a horse in the first place. I even thought of asking Martha's son to ride the carriage for me but I will not risk him telling Martha and Leo of my sudden leave.

I was about to run or hide behind the trees when I heard a carriage approaching.

Please, don't let it be Leo. If it's Leo then I am completely sure he'll stop me from leaving right now. From going to the Bennett manor and asking Jacob Bennett where the time machine is.

I tried walking really fast. I alternated between walking and running but it was no use since obviously, I am no match for a horse.

When the carriage stopped in front of me and when the door flew open. I don't know whether to be happy or sad.

I looked down on the ground, embarrassment creeping through me.

"What do you think you're doing?" She asked. I could sense frustration yet understanding in her very voice.

I did not reply as I turned to look at her for a second then focused my eyes to the ground once again.

"Hop in, child before Mister Finley wakes up," suggested Martha, patting the red leather seat beside her.

I shook my head, frowning and exclaimed, "I just don't want to break his heart more, Martha,"

Martha let out a soft sigh, "Look, isn't what you're doing right now, running away in the middle of the night, walking alone in the midst of dark roads are more likely to break his heart? Knowing him? He'll die from worrying about you, child so please, let's just go home and tuck you into bed,"

I bit my upper lip, shook my head for a second and said, "I'm sorry, Martha but I have to do this," and with that, I began walking, ignoring her stares behind my back. Pretending that Martha's not here despite the fact I badly want to hug her and apologize for what I did. To explain everything to her.

I know she's disappointed that I was the one who shot the Bennett family and she'll never look at me the same way as before.

I let out a loud scream when suddenly, a pair of hands encircled under my armpits and lifted me.

When I turned to look at the person behind me, that's when I realized it was Martha's son who was now carrying me and was walking towards the carriage.

"Let go of me," I hollered but Martha's son remained hardheaded. I just can't go back to Leo's house and lay with him in that bed and hug him and kiss him knowing I can't stay. Knowing that there's no future for the two of us.

As soon as my butt touched the red leather seat and I was sitting beside Martha, I let out a loud frustrated sigh.

"Mister Finley told me about what occurred the night of the Bennett family's death," Martha began, folding her hands on her lap.

"One thing that never left my mind was the sight of him explaining all these to me, child. It was as if he felt responsible for all these, that he is blaming himself. I can sense guilt and suffering in him so please, talk to him," she added and then held my hand as she looked me straight in the eyes.

I gulped for a second. I cannot believe Leo is blaming himself when in fact, he is not one to blame. He is innocent here.

"Why?" I quietly asked, frowning and confused.