XXX. a day in hell

Chapter 30

A week has passed since Augustus and I was engaged. I am still not sure if he's aware of the bargain that his father has made. In which he forced me to agree.

The past week has been nothing but a blur. Every morning, a set of three maids will attend me to change my attire and even brush my hair. Truth be told, I just find it so awkward.

I know how to dress so what's the fuss all about? Even in modern times, I do dress my own body.

Also, ever since I was engaged with Augustus. They began dressing me in very beautiful yet expensive gowns that felt like I am going to this and that when in fact, I will only be staying in this manner.

To be frank, the gowns they kept giving me felt like I am a Greek goddess or whatever.

Every so often, as they were brushing my hair, I'll catch their eyes staring angrily at me in the mirror. When I ask them what's wrong, they'll just roll their eyes and give me a very fake smile. Sometimes, when I am walking towards the garden to think about my plans on my mission, I'll hear some of them whisper the word, "whore,"

And it's been a week since Martha decided to quit her job, bidding me a very heartfelt goodbye through a letter. Saying she'll just work as a vendor of bread in the streets than have her life threatened here.

About Miss Dolores, well, I am still mourning for her. I mean, sure, she and I were not that close but come on, I've known her since I was like what? A fetus? Also, I still can't believe she's dead, meaning, I can die as well in this era and never go back to the present times.

About Leo, well. He went to the barracks and told me he will be staying there for at least two weeks. He told me to be strong and if ever there is an emergency, I should just go straight to the barracks. Leo then gave me the address.

Every time I remember kissing him in the tip of his nose as he was on his way to leave, I cannot help from mentally cursing myself due to how stupid I must've looked. I must've looked like a kindergarten to him.

Now, my only problem would be Augustus who kept barging into my room every now and then. He almost caught me wearing only my undergarments. Gosh.

Now that Leo is not here, Augustus insisted on going to the town since life inside the manor was boring. Plus, Mister Bennett went in an urgent meeting and will be missing for at least a

month or so according to Augustus.

And is why, we are now inside a carriage, on our way to the wedding gowns boutique, purchasing a wedding gown.

The maids forced me to wear something extravagant again. Something that will make me stand out due to how stupid I must've looked. I am going to the Town's market, not a ball. The gown was nothing but lace so I cannot help myself from scratching myself over and over again.

Leo, meanwhile, looks like he's going to a ball as well. Oh, dear.

I suggested to Augustus that Judy, his cousin's wife should accompany me but he refused to, saying he should be the one to be with me.

"Isn't it too early for that?" I asked Augustus, my eyes stuck on the ground.

"Not really, my mermaid. Besides, we're getting married as soon as Father comes back," Augustus replied, his hands wrapped around my shoulders.

As soon as he said that, I couldn't stop coughing. "You mean, like, next month?"

Augustus just nodded at me as he gave my neck a peck which made me cringe. This is just too much.

As soon as we're inside the boutique, the employee asked me what my preferred choice of gown was.

"A minimalistic style would be nice. Nothing too fancy," I answered, giving her a smile as I let my eyes wander around the room where hundreds and hundreds of gowns can be seen.