XXIII. Let it be known

Chapter 23

I let out a soft sigh as I slowly covered the blanket over the two combined pillows so it would somehow resemble a human figure.

Looking to my left, I see Martha fast asleep, her arms around a lumpy pillow. Light from the moon is the only source of light since Mister Douglas won't allow maid's chambers to have access to electricity.

Since I am sneaking to Mister Douglas' office in the middle of the night, I didn't bother wearing my usual black oxford shoes since I am afraid it'll surely create a sound while I walk along the wooden and marble floors. To cut it short, I am barefoot. and cold.

And I am aware of Miss Dolores' angry remarks by the time she ascertained I am walking barefoot. Not only because it's cold but also for the reason it's inappropriate for a Victorian woman.

Also, since I don't have any dark colored clothes aside from my usual black gown which according to Martha was a mourning gown, it left me no choice.

After a few minutes of silently walking, I finally reached Mister Douglas' very office, with me casually looking at my back to see if anyone was following me.

It's already around 2 A. M., meaning, Mister Douglas is already in his room, sleeping like a normal person would do.

Unlike me who is still awake to look at his things to unravel any clues on why I should kill him. When in fact, he is just a great man. Such a shame, if you ask me.

I first went to his bookcases, read a few titles to see anything suspicious but also to admire it since it's been months since I last read a single novel. As far as I know, they thought I was illiterate.

Next, I quietly opened the wooden drawers. As expected, since Martha asked me to clean the Mister Douglas Office, the drawers contained nothing but Plumas and some blank scrolls and reading glasses.

But one thing I am here for is the locked drawer in the bottom. One thing for sure, the answers I am really trying my best to unravel is right in this very drawer.

That is why I came here with a table knife. Look, I don't know a thing about survival 101 or life hacks or whatever you want to call this situation but I will gladly appreciate it if you spare me from calling a thief though, given the instances, I guess I am a thief...or a spy.

Well, spy doesn't sound so bad. In fact, it sounds badass.

Anyway, the point is, I don't know a thing about opening this damn drawer. So, here I am, trying to figure out how experts do it with a simple bread knife.

Right at this very moment, I somehow wish I managed to watch any Youtube videos or read a survival book regarding this sad situation.

Instead, here I am, minutes have passed and still, no progress. I badly want to holler at the top of my lungs due to how foolish I am.

My naked feet are already cold, thank goodness I wore this black gown of mine. It's a bit thick so this would do.

I swear I was on the verge of giving up. Standing up and considering informing Miss Dolores what happened tonight. That it was a disaster due to my lack of knowledge to open a simple drawer.

Like I said, I've entered and cleaned this very office countless times. Of course, while cleaning, I am doing my best to investigate. You might call me a massive opportunist but whatever.

I was about to stand up and hid my stupid table knife inside my pocket when suddenly, I heard the wooden door cracked opened.

My first instinct was to hide under the desk which by the way, I did but was a struggle due to my gown. A few ends of my gowns can probably be seen but thank the gods for its color. Black will now have a special place in my heart.