Chapter 8 Calms The Storm

Chapter 8 False Miracles Jesus Calms The Storm

The next miracle performed is Jesus calming a storm, which threatened to sink the ship. Miracles of controlling the weather have nothing to do with prophesy of Christ, as they have no correlation with being a saviour. However, they do relate to Baal, as he is "Lord" of weather, rain, wind, lightning, seasons and patron of sailors. Matthew 8:23-27: "23 Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"

26 He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

27 The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!""

At this time, Mark has Jesus curing a paralytic man, not calming a storm. Mark 2:1-5: "2 A few days later, when Jesus again entered Capernaum, the people heard that he had come home. 2 They gathered in such large numbers that there was no room left, not even outside the door, and he preached the word to them. 3 Some men came, bringing to him a paralyzed man, carried by four of them. 4 Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus by digging through it and then lowered the mat the man was lying on. 5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralyzed man, "Son, your sins are forgiven.""

Luke claims, that this is when Jesus cures the man with leprosy, event that has already transpired in the Gospel of Matthew (Matthew 8:1-3) and Mark (Mark 1:40-42). Luke 5:12-13: "12 While Jesus was in one of the towns, a man came along who was covered with leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he fell with his face to the ground and begged him, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean."

13 Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" And immediately the leprosy left him."

The Gospel of John still has John the Baptist as a free man, and omits these events.