Chapter 4: Joshua

The man in the house got killed again. Mad Dog is really what they call, mad. I'm not sure if I should be happy or not with what happened to him. I had some questions for him so I wanted to ask him something but he already got his eyes set on Bridgette, which was dangerous. Sigh~ I better report this to the head and look for someone else to ask. Now that I got nothing else to do, I did my daily routine, go to the library to have a chat with Bridgette.

               When I got to the library, I looked for Bridgette only to see her favourite spot empty. She was not here, which was pretty unusual to happen. I went out again to find something to kill time, since she's not in the library then I have nothing else I need to do there. When I walked around, I saw Bridgette, yawning. She seemed pretty tired.

"Bridgette, how's your night?" I called out to her. She looked at my direction as she rubbed her drowsy eyes.
"Pretty busy... yawn~" she said again as she covered her mouth and yawned.

              She walked my way and held my hand. She was unstable. I held her shoulders and brought her to a bench. "Why don't you sleep for today?" I asked her and she looked at me. "Ah, I didn't think of that..." she answered as her eyes slightly widened when the realization came to her. I simply stared at her in shock, I mean, if your sleepy, you would go to sleep right? Who would even forget their sleep? Bridgette, really is an airhead. I chuckled to myself and sat next to her.

"It's still early so why don't you get some sleep? Come here, I'll lend you my lap to sleep on." I invited her and without any retorts, she complied and slept on my lap.

                 I spent my whole morning like that, without realizing some strange man was observing us from the distance. I felt the strange gaze for a while now but I didn't bother, I can't just simply stand up and see who it was, Bridgette was using my lap as a pillow. I can't just carelessly wake her up. And besides, we're not doing anything wrong, and we're in the open so no one can attack us.

              It didn't take long after another pair of eyes started gazing at us. I don't know whose eyes these are and just like before, I can't check whose eyes these are so I continued to bear with it until Bridgette finally woke up. It was lunch time and it was starting to get hot. Bridgette slowly stood up and rubbed her eyes. She was still half asleep until she had her eyes set on me and stared at me for a minute and her eyes widened on shock. She quickly stood up and bowed towards me, "I'm so sorry for troubling you Joshua! I should have slept at home, I'm really really sorry!" She apologized and I just smiled at her. "Don't mind it, I was the one who offered my lap for you to sleep on so it's fine. Well then, why don't we get something for lunch?" She just looked at me and blinked, she was dumbstruck. I dont know what, but she slowly stood up properly and took her phone out. "Oh, it's already 11:27 am." She said and looked at me, "alright, let's get something to eat." She added.

               As we continued our day as usual, those two pair of eyes continued observing us. I don't know if Bridgette noticed or not, but she remained the same so I guess she didn't, but I really do feel creeped out by the gazes. Only spies can be this observant. If these are her spies, then this is going to be one painful night. But she doesn't normally set two spies to watch me so whose the other one? Don't tell me, it's a spy from another clan. Did someone sniff me out? I'll worry about that when the time comes, for now, I should keep Bridgette out from their gazes, she might be targetted.

              We finished our lunch, but we remained seated on our favourite family restaurant. We were quiet, and again, as usual, Bridgette took one of her complicated books out and read again. Because of the gazes,I felt awkward, I felt weird. So I called out to Bridgette and talked to her, to distract me from the weird gazes.

"Hey Bridgette, have you heard about the latest rumours?" I asked her. Words were spreading fast, so I used the latest news about Mad Dog.
"Hm? What rumour?" She asked as she looked at me and placed her book down.
"About Mad Dog."
"Again?"
"Yep. She's really mad I tell you."
"What did she do this time?"

               She seemed interested in the topic so I told her everything the rumours said. She seemed relieved that she didn't get involved because it was next to the cafe that she frequented in the last 3 days. But she also felt regretful for the man living there. There are times she would look down and shake, so I would simply rub her back.

             As we kept these conversation, the gazes became deeper and worse. Our conversation was no longer able to distract me. My observer was making it dangerous for Bridgette, same with the other gaze. So I quickly ended our conversation and told her I was going home. She looked at me worried but I told her there was nothing to worry so I quickly walked outside and headed home.

              When I got to the place I was staying in, she was right there. Mad. She was holding her whip in one hand and rope in the other.

"Who told you to act all friendly with that woman, Joshua?" She asked me angrily.