The Past is the Past

Just like he promised, within the first few days of being home Alex, Darwin, and Ray began planning a trip. Some how they all agreed on camping out back since the mansion is surrounded by so much natural forestry. But I had to be the bad buy in the situation and told them that nobody was going anywhere until Alex had a bit of time to himself so that he can adjust to being part of a family again.

He won't admit it but I think that Alex is more scared to be home than being at war for so long. I mean he was there for ten years and I can only imagine the horrors that he must have gone through, the lack of food available to eat, and if his nightmare last night was just the beginning then I know that he won't want the kids to have to see him like that. Maybe if I showed him my secret then that may help him while he's transitioning... Maybe if I get him to do that too then it might help him even more...

I'll talk to him about things later, see what type of mood that we're both in later today.

Libby and Cameron came to the grocery store with me today, I dropped them off at their apartment and helped them put their groceries away before making my way home, but unfortunately their not here to help me unload. For such a large family you would think that at least one person might come out to help me unload the food.

But no such help came.

Instead I got my exercise in for the day by making multiple trips in and out of the house.

"Why is it that every time I see you you're always in the kitchen?" I glance next to me and smile at Charles, who seems happier than ever to be back in his wheelchair.

Where he rightly belongs.

"I have two growing boys to feed but sometimes it feels like I have 5, not including Libby or Cameron." I chuckle taking things out of bags and organizing them so that it will be easier for me to put them away.

Charles laughs with me but goes quiet again. I don't want to look at him and see the pain on his face but I know that I can't run away either, from him of this dreaded conversation.

"Violet, I want to apologize to you. For everything that I've put you through." I sigh and put my hands on the counter and hang my head as I attempt to keep my cool.

"It's not me that you need to apologize too Charles, it's the kids." I take a deep breath and continue putting the groceries away, it was a sad attempt to keep mu mind busy and avoid looking at my brother.

It's probably not helping that I've bottled mine up for so long and that they're such powerful emotions that it's making things harder on him. So I finally let some of them go.

"Charles, you had such an incredible gift of being able to use your legs again. The boys were so happy and excited for you because they were able to be a part of something that was supposed to help you. They waited patiently, for over a year, for you to be able to transition but when you didn't pay any attention to them for 2 years..." My heart begins hurting again as I remember seeing the broken looks on my boys faces and not being able to take that hurt away.

"All they wanted was for their godfather to feel better, to be apart of their lives. Do you realize how hard that it was for us to watch the happiness and hope fade from their faces when they realized that you wanted nothing to do with any of us? Do you know how hard it was for me when I had to watch them cry themselves to sleep because they thought that it was their fault that you hated everyone?" Charles and I were both crying by now but I can't stop lashing out at him, and the sad part is I think that he was expecting this from me.

"They had so many things that they wanted to show you Charles, so many places that they wanted to visit with you... You asked me the one day why I hated you so much, do you remember what I said?"