Chapter 9 - An Unexpected Alliance

You may not have realised, but we're at the ninth chapter and we're still set in the same school day! I think it's reflective of school's perpetual nature. 

Enjoy!

~D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Last period had arrived and I was getting ready to celebrate. I had almost made it through the first day of this term. Well, just about. 

I walked over to my last lesson with hope in my eyes. Hope that this day could end quickly, and I could go home and "Netflix and chill" on my own (without the chilling).

I then remembered we had to know some vocabulary for the next lesson, which was Spanish. But me, being my lazy self, hadn't learned any of it yet, so I was casually reading the list of vocabulary whilst walking to my classroom.

I took a step forward through the door but as I did so, I collided into something hard and firm. It didn't feel like a door. I looked up from my paper and grew pale.

For the fourth time today, I had bumped into Grey Black.

"Emerald Redbourne." he stated coldly, his eyes on mine.

I rolled my eyes and shoved him out of the way before heading into the classroom.

"The heck, you bitch!" he cursed at me as I strolled over to my desk.

"Mr Black, I do not tolerate cursing in my class!" The irritated voice of our Spanish teacher, Señorita Juana, reprimanded Grey.

He said nothing to her, so she lost her temper. I was getting more and more amused by this altercation. Grey Black deserved to suffer for the way he had treated me.

"Go and apologise to Miss Redbourne right this second before I give you a detention!" She yelled at him as my eyes grew wide.

An apology? Oh god no, I did not want an apology from that jerk. I wanted him to stay away from me, not get closer. Couldn't Señorita Juana see that?

Grey marched reluctantly down the rows of desks with the eyes of Señorita Juana on his back, as well as every student in the class. He was being humiliated and as much as I wanted to laugh at it, I was not looking forward to receiving his half-hearted apology.

"Emerald," he announced loudly, as I cringed at the use of my full name, "Honestamente, completamente y en todas las maneras, lo siento para mi mal compartamiento." (Honestly, completely and in every way, I am sorry for my bad behaviour)

My eyes widened in horror. What a wicked game he played. He was in trouble for cursing and he decided to apologise in Spanish? Could it be that the bad boy was a teacher's pet!? My gaze flitted to Señorita Juana who looked pleasantly surprised. I groaned in annoyance - had that fake, sarcastic apology actually worked?

"Gracias." (Thank you) I snarled back sarcastically as Grey gave me a smug smile.

Señorita Juana beamed at Grey, giving him a small clap.

"Muy bien! I think the two of you can be good friends with that show of good behaviour. Grey, you will sit next to Emerald for the rest of time you are in my class." she commanded as Grey and I went pale, our eyes wide in horror. Surely, she was joking?

"Aw hell no!" I cursed fairly loudly under my breath and thankfully Señorita Juana didn't hear me.

Grey looked livid. I bet he was wishing he hadn't sucked up to her now. Bad move, Black.

"Great." he growled, slumping onto the chair beside me, a frown on his face.

"Es tu culpa." (It's your fault) I reminded him, as he gave me the finger.

Señorita Juana then told us that she wanted to do the vocabulary assessment and I heard Grey complain from next to me, as the test paper landed on his desk.

"Oh shoot, I didn't learn it." he muttered in frustration. I said nothing, revelling in his misery.

"Did you?" Grey asked me, as I covered my paper with a hand.

"Maybe." I teased him, with a smug smile, writing down the answers with feigned confidence.

I knew about 80% of what was on here, but Grey didn't know that. I was deliberately acting like I knew it all to annoy him.

"Emerald!" he whispered angrily, nudging me in the side.

"What!?" I snapped, turning to face him with a scowl.

"Let me see your answers please!" he ordered, trying to snatch my paper from me.

"Nah..." I retorted, pulling it to my side of the desk and putting my entire arm around the paper so he couldn't see a thing.

Grey looked positively outraged. I bet no other girl had ever rejected him like this before.

"Please!" he begged desperately, grabbing my wrist and pulling it away from the paper.

"Ok fine!" I gave in, as his eyes softened with gratitude.

"Thank you-" he began but I interrupted him.

"You owe me one, Black." I stated firmly, uncovering my hand from the page to let him see.

He scribbled them down quickly, his handwriting a complete mess. Our test ended about ten minutes later, and after Señorita Juana collected our papers in, Grey turned to me with a challenging smirk.

"So," he piped up, "what does the great Emerald Redbourne want from I, the greater Grey Black?"