Chapter 16 - Predicted Consequences

I am pleased to announce the introduction of another character to my book! Please welcome Jeremy Hazel to the stage. You will undoubtedly love him. 

Happy reading! 

~D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The week went by and not much happened. Grey had been irritating me by giving me random hugs all the time and putting his arm around my waist when we were in public. He was all set on the whole "fake relationship" thing.

I had tried to tell other people it was all a joke, but I got called out for being too humble. Like seriously, why couldn't people just believe me?

The weekend finally came and I was all set to hang out with my best buddies Heidi and Dee. Steve tagged along too with his friend Jeremy.

I had only met Jeremy Hazel once at school and he seemed like Steve, but shyer and more reserved. The two of them had been friends for a while so Steve could talk to him if he found hanging out with us too awkward.

I got to the mall early and texted Dee. Oh yeah, did I mention that I hadn't seen Heidi since Grey and I started "going out?" She had clubs and other commitments, especially since she was a prefect, so we hadn't properly interacted with her all week except on the first day back. I was not looking forward to her reaction to Grey and I. Not one bit.

I sat outside a beauty shop and a finger tapped me on the shoulder. I turned my head to see Jeremy there, giving me a shy wave. I examined him curiously. His soft ginger hair was splayed on his head like a cloud. 

"Hey Emma," he softly greeted, looking at me through his pair of over-sized glasses before sitting down.

"Hey Jeremy, how are you doing?"

"Good," he told me, giving me a small smile. "And you?"

"Yeah, I'm alright but I don't understand why you and Steve agreed to tag along today. Do you enjoy shopping?"

Jeremy chuckled, moving some hair out of his face.

"Well, I would tell you why but you would have to keep it a secret." He negotiated. I nodded quickly, curious as to what he was about to disclose.

He leaned forward and whispered in my ear.

"Steve likes Dee."

My eyes widened as I stumbled back in surprise, off of the bench.

"I totally called this, oh my god!" I yelled sporadically, my hands flailing in the air.

I forgot we were in a public place and got some dirty looks from some people in the mall. I glared at them and sat back down.

"Awwww cute! My friend will be in a relationship soon!" I cried out happily as Jeremy looked confused.

"So are you." he reminded me, but I rolled my eyes.

"Jeremy it's a fake relationship!" I corrected him, putting emphasis on the word "fake."

"But you guys seem like a real couple!" Jeremy retorted, his brown eyes filled with confusion.

"It's a big lie that I created but Grey is continuing to spread it because he sucks..." I explained, breaking down his assumption.

Jeremy looked down at his lap.

"Oh..." he mumbled. "But why did he do it?"

I shrugged.

"Said it was entertainment. I'm not finding it funny though."

Jeremy gave me a knowing smile.

"Emma have you ever heard about how guys annoy girls they like?" he questioned me, as I rolled my eyes for the umpteenth time.

"That's not true, and even if it is, that's not why Grey is doing this. Trust me, he really does take pleasure in my pain." I responded coolly. Jeremy shrugged and gave in to my reason.

Before either of us could say anything more, Dee and Heidi came running over.

Heidi was calmly chatting with Dee until her brown eyes flitted to my own. Her eyes went wild and she sprinted to me like the Flash. I could've sworn she made holes in the floor at the speed and force with which she was moving towards me.

"EMERALD REDBOURNE!" she boomed, her eyes darkening as she held my shoulders with her hands and towered over me, despite being shorter than me.

"H-Heidi." was all I could manage to stutter out.

"WE NEED TO TALK," she stated loudly, and I could've sworn the mall went deathly silent. I think someone was crying.

My heart was drumming so fast as Heidi took a seat next to me. What was she going to do to me?