Chapter 47 - Lie Detector

Hello all! Sorry that I haven't updated in a while, I have had one of the busiest and most emotional weeks of my life!

We are very nearly finished with this book. The chapter after this one will be the prom one!

Enjoy as per usual :D

~D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Emeralddddd!"

Grey was tapping his pen against my shoulder, desperately trying to get my attention. And me? I was doing what I did best: ignoring him.

"Emeeeeerald!"

His voice was more high-pitched now and I couldn't restrain the smile that it brought about across my face.

The tapping got more insistent. If I got a bruise on my shoulder, I would definitely sue him.

"'Merald!"

Grey was on the verge of shouting now, his tone more and more agitated by the second. It was highly amusing.

I sat still, unflinching and trying my absolute best not to burst out laughing.

Grey had stopped talking. Had he given up with pestering me?

Before I could register what was happening, I was being lifted out of my chair and over the shoulder of the hulk of man. I screamed and yelled, bringing my fists down on his solid chest and kicking my feet against his back. It didn't work. He didn't put me down until we had reached the hallway.

"Are you going to listen to me now?" Grey had his trademark self-satisfied smirk on as he looked over at my annoyed face.

I nodded. I didn't really have a choice. Our teacher was away today, so no one would come and rescue me.

"Did I do anything stupid when I was drunk?"

Oh, so that's what all of this was about. This morning, when Grey woke up in my house, he had no recollection of what he'd done while drunk. He begged me to tell him but I refused, walking out of the house before he could say anything more.

I thought about what he had done. He had said he wanted to eat me, to sleep in my bed with me and then after he went to the loo, he passed out on my bed.

"Maybe..." I teased in a sing-song voice. Grey lunged forward, his arms threatening to lift me up again.

I raised my hands in surrender.

"Okay, okay, I'll tell you..." I mumbled, adding, "Just don't lift me again."

Grey chuckled and I explained the aforementioned embarrassing moments.

Grey didn't really react but stayed put.

"They were all meaningless actions." He claimed, trying not to look at me. I think he's lying.

Grey was about to step into the classroom when I reached out to him, holding him back by the wrist. He turned to face me, his expression one of surprise.

"If what you did means nothing, why did you ask me to be your date to prom?"

I had said what was on my mind clearly and bluntly. Hopefully he would respond honestly.

"Because I have nobody to go with, and you're the only person I could think of." Grey replied, his eyes not giving anything away. For some reason, my chest ached at this response. I don't know why but I was hoping that he would tell me that he asked because he actually wanted to go with me.

I suppose that wasn't the case.

I watched him walk into the classroom, the door swinging behind him. I stood there for a few minutes, thinking about his words. Was I just deluded?

After a minute or two, I reentered the classroom, a fake smile firmly planted on my face.

***

"Did he actually say that?" Lottie seemed shocked at what I had told her, her eyes wide and eyebrows raised.

I gave her a look of reassurance.

Lottie placed a hand on my hand to console me.

"Emma, I'm sure he didn't mean it. And if he did, maybe you shouldn't go to prom with him. He doesn't deserve you."

Lottie had made a good point. This was prom, a special occasion for all of us. It had to be memorable and enjoyable. Would it be either if I had a date who didn't really want to be there with me, but rather with anyone who was available?

"Thanks Lottie."

"Hey, so what does your prom dress look like?" Lottie changed the subject, and I'm thankful she did. I guess she had noticed my miserable expression.

"It's long and dark blue with a slit on the side. The material has a lacey back and the bottom is covered in little gemstones." I explained, trying to picture it in my brain.

"That sounds gorgeous!" Lottie cried out, before explaining her own. Her dress was a sleeveless, short baby pink dress adorned with little flowers around its hem. I thought it sounded adorable and would really suit her.

***

"I think you should give him a chance."

I had told Ruby what had happened that day with Grey and what Lottie had said about it.

"But you heard his reasons for asking me. He asked me because it was convenient!" I protested, my blood boiling in anger.

Ruby shook her head.

"Em', you didn't see the look in his eye when he asked you. He seemed nervous but serious about the whole thing. Those don't seem like the reactions of a guy who isn't interested in you."

I bowed my head, unsure of what to believe. I guess I was worried that Grey was doing this as a dare or that he would leave me to dance with Viola or some other girl halfway through.

"Emma?"

Ruby snapped me out of my daydream. I looked up at her uncertainly.

"What if you're wrong?"

"What if you are?"

I rolled my eyes at her response.

"Ruby, I'm afraid."

Ruby's eyes softened at my words.

"Em', it isn't you that needs to be afraid, it's Grey. If anything remotely bad happens to you, I will make sure Grey Black wishes he had never been born."

She was gritting her teeth, her eyes growing dark as she thought about all the things Grey might do to hurt me.

Her words provided me with relief. At least I would get to see my sister beat up the bad boy if everything went to shit.

"Thanks Rubes." I gave her a tight hug and she returned it.

"Anytime Em'."