Chapter 26 - More Than Just Allies?

Soft grey eyes peered into my own brown ones, curious and filled with anticipation. I felt my heart drumming in my ears, the continual vibrations pounding against my chest. Our hands were interlocked, and I could tell that mine was getting clammier and hotter with every second that passed. This question had me by the woman-balls and I was totally speechless.

"You want me to be your girlfriend?" I had to ask again, to clarify. Surely, he wasn't being serious? Did he really think that I was worthy of that title? Victor was so cool and well-known, and I was just plain old me. Did he really want to risk his reputation?

Victor looked confused at my question and chuckled slightly.

"Emma, of course I mean it! I really like you and I want to be able to formally call us a couple." He assured me, placing a hand on my arm and stroking my arm with the pad of his thumb. I couldn't help but feel stupid for the previous question. Of course, Victor was serious. Why did I doubt myself?

"Victor Blue, I would love that." I answered finally, as Victor's eyes lit up and his arms scooped up my neck, drawing me towards his chest. I nestled my head in the crook of his shoulder, enjoying the warmth it provided.

"Thank you." Victor whispered into my ear, as he released me from his warm embrace.

"I have another question for you, Emma."

I raised an eyebrow curiously. What could he want to know? I nodded, as a way of saying that he could continue.

"Can I kiss you?"

I leaned forward cheek-first, ready for his kiss. But Victor's lips didn't even graze the side of my cheek; instead they fell flat on my lips, his palm cradling the side of my face, a single finger stroking the skin covering my cheekbone.

Victor pulled away, beaming.

"I enjoyed that." I commented, as Victor agreed, the happiness in his eyes unfaltering.

Just as I was savouring the moment, I came to a horrid realisation. Our kiss had been far from private, but directly in the view of the public. My eyes fell on the crowd of partygoers that had bunched up beneath the balcony, their faces stricken with pallor and surprise. Whispering began, and I buried my face in my hands, hating the attention.

"Why did Victor kiss her? She is so ugly. I bet he's just using her for her money or something."

"Are they going out? That's just wrong."

Several other comments dotted around the house, as Victor led me inside, a deep frown etched on his face.

"I'm sorry." He apologised, sitting on the side of his bed, his head bowed down.

I perched myself on the edge of a chair and shook my head.

"It's not your fault Victor, it's theirs. They're too busy caring about our lives because they lack their own." I felt the anger seeping out through my words, filled with hatred.

Victor stood up suddenly, and I assumed an idea had crossed his mind. His eyes were bright and buzzing with energy.

He held out his hand to me.

"Emma, come with me. There's something I need to do."

I was curious as to what he was planning and took his hand, as he led me back onto the balcony.

At our presence, people began to gather beneath the balcony again, bunched up in a mob-like formation. I could see girls glaring at me with their envious eyes, their boyfriends hooked on their arms, obliged to encourage and support their foul behaviour.

Victor stepped forward, his hand gripping my own.

"Everyone, I have an announcement." He declared clearly, his voice firm and crisp. The murmurings from below faded away, the entire crowd going silent at his sudden declaration. I was impressed by his influence.

Victor turned to me as he raised our joined hands upwards and faced the audience with pride glistening in his eyes.

"This is my girlfriend, Emma Redbourne, who I care for dearly. I would like you all to know that I am serious about her and that I value and respect her. If anyone here does not approve of her, I couldn't care less. It is my choice, and she is right for me. Thank you for your attention. Please enjoy the rest of the party."

The chatter from below resumed yet again as people dispersed, going back to what they had been doing before. But this time, I didn't listen in to their conversations. Only Victor's words mattered to me.

"Victor, thank you."

He smiled, before excusing himself to go to the bathroom. I peered over the balcony and saw Grey sitting there with two people I hadn't seen before. One of the guys noticed me looking their way and got Grey's attention. His gaze met mine and I gave him a small wave, a smile on my face.

Grey didn't smile back but looked back down and continued talking to his friends.

"Everything ok?" Victor re-emerged, placing his arms around my waist. I nodded, assuming that Grey was having a bad day.

"Cool, let's go back for some food then." Victor offered, clasping my hand and leading me to my favourite place in any household – the kitchen.