Chapter 49 - Ceasefire

This is the penultimate chapter! How sad :(

Enjoy!

~D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got out of the Ferrari, my teeth chattering and hair slightly tousled. My entire body was shaking with excitement. That ride had to be the best one I'd ever had in my entire goddamn life.

Grey looked amused at my current state.

"The Ferrari always works with the ladies." He remarked smugly, placing his arms behind his neck.

"Oh really now?" I countered, but he had already walked away, beckoning me to follow.

This year, prom was being held at a golf course. The inside of the venue was fairly standard. There was a courtyard area and then the main building, where the buffet and tables were. And of course, my least favourite part, the dance floor.

Grey's hand found mine as we walked into the courtyard area. Everyone was mingling with everyone else, complimenting each other and discussing how damn long they'd taken to get ready.

My eyes found Dee and Steve talking with Jeremy and Lottie.

Dee looked as gorgeous as ever, in a floor-length, off-the-shoulder crimson dress. She saw me and began to wave at me.

Grey and I headed over to the two couples.

"Emma, you look amazing!" Dee cried out, embracing me excitedly and playing with a strand of my hair.

"So do you, bestie." I replied with a large smile. I had only seen her yesterday, but it felt like it had been forever.

I took a look at Lottie, who looked as cute as I had pictured. We complimented each other and turned back to the others.

"So, you're Grey Black then?" Jeremy spoke nervously to the guy who was a whole foot taller than him.

Grey realised how intimidating he could be and pretended to be angry, a snarl crossing his face.

He didn't even say anything but Jeremy began to profusely apologise.

I smacked Grey's hand, telling him to apologise. He couldn't treat Jeremy like that!

"Sorry pal, I think I went too far there." Grey admitted and Jeremy nodded, not daring to speak another word.

Grey bent down and asked me who 'the prep kid' was.

"Oh, this is Steve, Dee's other half." I explained and Steve gave Grey one of those guy-to-guy nods.

Grey looked to Dee and gave her a friendly smile.

"Hello again." He greeted and she replied accordingly.

His eyes fell on the last member of our circle, Lottie.

"I'm Lottie. Emma has told me a lot about you." Lottie introduced herself and gave me a cheeky smile at her latter words.

Grey chuckled.

"Nice to meet you." He said before turning to me with a devilish grin.

"So, you talk about me?"

I remained silent, ignoring the fact that my cheeks were reddening like crazy.

Grey lowered himself so that his mouth was by my ear.

"That's cute." He whispered, before leading me in another direction. I hastily waved goodbye to my friends, unsure of where Grey was taking me.

We stopped before two guys who I recognised all too well. Orange and Cody.

"Emerald, this is-"

"Orange and Cody." I interrupted, much to Grey's surprise. They both gave me a quick wave.

"How do you know them?"

Before I could say anything, Cody cut in.

"She came to us this one day, desperately in need of help. And we, being the gentlemen we are, gave it to her." Cody explained, smirking Grey's smirk. I buried my face in my hands, groaning at the implications of what he was saying.

Grey was getting infuriated. I could feel the skin on his hand tensing.

He grabbed Cody by the collar.

"What did you do?"

Cody's face morphed into one of panic.

"Nothing! Calm down, man." He cried out, and Grey lowered him to the floor, much to his delight.

"Seriously though, how did you meet?" Grey turned to me now, and I looked to ground, knowing I couldn't tell him the truth. That would be much too embarrassing.

"We're in the same English class." Orange swooped in, and I gave him a thankful smile.

Grey seemed pleased at this and placed an arm around me.

"It's good that you've met the second and third most important people in my life." He explained. I felt a pang of jealousy in my chest as he said this. Who was his first? It was probably his mother, I was stupid to think it was some girl.

"Who's the first?" I blurted out, immediately wishing I hadn't asked the question.

Grey looked nervous for a split second and then he composed himself.

"Why me, of course." He professed and I sighed exasperatedly. He really was a self-centred narcissist.

"I'll get us some drinks. What do you guys want?" Grey questioned us, changing the subject.

We told him our orders and he wandered off.

Orange stepped forward and began to whisper.

"You know he was lying about that?"

I shrugged.

"Yeah I figured that would be the case. It's his mum or dad, isn't it?"

Orange and Cody looked at each other with knowing smiles.

"What?" I asked them, wanting to know what they were thinking.

"Emma, can't you see?" Cody spoke this time, his voice lowered.

"See what?" I repeated, utterly confused.

"The most important person in Grey's life is-"

"Hey guys, I'm back." Grey had returned, a tray of drinks in his hand.

I was annoyed at his incovenient arrival. Cody was just about to tell me something important, no pun intended. I made eye contact with the guy to try and get him to continue but he shook his head firmly.

"Emerald, do you want your drink?"

Grey was holding out a glass of champagne. I accepted it and took a sip. It was so deceptive. You think it's refreshing and hydrating but after two seconds your mouth becomes dry.

"Do you want another drink?"

Grey has been watching me react. I smiled at his request, accepting it and accompanying him to the bar.

***

"I am so stuffed."

I was slumped back on my chair, my hands on my stomach and my jaw sore from chewing. The food at the buffet had been fairly good, so I had well and truly exploited it. But now I was dying of indigestion. Not the best game plan, Emma.

"Do you want to go for a walk?" Grey offered, standing up from his chair.

It wasn't a bad idea. The air in the building was too stuffy and hot. I needed some fresh air.

"Ok." I got up and followed him into the courtyard.