Chapter 23 - Revelation of Truths

"Emerald, how was your weekend?" Grey asked me, his attention turning to me.

I could tell he was in a good mood, as when he wasn't, our conversations would start with an insult. This had lessened since last week though.

"It was good, I hung out with Victor Blue actually!" I informed him, thinking back to Saturday.

Victor had been struggling with some homework and he asked for my input. I, the great friend that I am, came to his rescue and met him at the library. He was a quick learner, and after some prompting, he understood the work. After that, he had offered to pay for lunch and we went to eat out in the town. It was fun, I enjoyed the day.

I recalled my surroundings and found Grey staring at me, his eyes flickering with an emotion I couldn't quite make out.

"How was your weekend?" I asked the guy, and he shrugged.

"It wasn't too bad. We pranked my friend Orange by giving him orange juice and telling him it was milk while he was blindfolded. The next you know, he was lying on the floor, throwing up!" Grey let out a stormy laugh. My eyes widened at the thought. Poor guy, that sounded cruel.

Grey stopped laughing and saw my more disturbed reaction.

"Honestly, he didn't mind. Plus, we prank each other like that all the time. It's fun!"

I wasn't too taken by this whole pranking thing, but I pretended to understand and nodded my head slowly.

Grey leaned back in his chair and put his feet up on the desk. I felt myself grow concerned at the precarious position he was in. He looked like he was going to fall back any second now. I warned him about this and he rolled his eyes.

"Emerald, I am the master of balance. Don't underestimate my awesomeness." He boasted, placing his hands behind his head and shutting his eyes.

It was my turn to roll my eyes. He was really such an idiot sometimes.

Grey opened his eyes and stared into space reflectively.

"Emerald, do you like Victor?" He spoke pensively, his eyes drifting off towards the bland walls of the classroom.

I felt attacked. I didn't know if I liked Victor like that! I mean he made me laugh and I enjoyed his company, but I didn't know what that was an indication of! All I knew was that we were good friends.

"I don't know. He's a good friend." I replied honestly. Grey said nothing for a while before he leaned back a little further. Again, I felt myself stir at how reckless he was being.

"If he asked you out on a date, what would you say?"

I felt my chest grow tight at his words. A date? Would Victor do that? I did quite like the idea of a date.

I had nothing to lose and hopefully Grey wouldn't tell Victor, so I told him the truth.

"Yes."

Grey removed his feet from his desk as his chair lurched forward and he was pushed into an upright position.

"Well then, I wish you luck Emerald." He gave me a small smile, but again, something else lingered in his eyes.

I dismissed it and thanked him, turning back to my work.

***

It was a week later when Victor invited me to have lunch with him in school. I assumed he was going to introduce me to his friends and we would eat with them, but he meant the two of us. It seemed like a sort of date.

Victor led to me to the courtyard, and we sat on the grass, talking and enjoying the sunshine.

"Emma, what's your favourite colour?" Victor had been asking me lots of random questions, and I had answered them, unsure of their purpose.

"I like yellow a lot. It's a great colour. What about you? Oh, let me guess, is it blue?" I teased as Victor facepalmed.

"No," he shook his head and replied accordingly, "it's actually red."

"Why?"

Victor's face grew dark as his eyes gleamed.

"Because blood is red and I'm a vampire." He stated in a neutral tone.

I began to shuffle away.

"Pfft as if, this isn't Twilight." Victor fell into a laughing fit and I joined in, trying to imagine him as Edward Cullen.

"You're a lot better looking than Edward Cullen though," I slipped out, absentmindedly.

Victor turned his head in surprise at my comment, an amused look on his face.

"Emma, are you flirting with me?"

I bit down on my lip nervously, eyes frantically darting around the courtyard. I didn't know what to say.

"I uhh..." I started, unsure of how to justify my statement.

"I like you, Emma." Victor admitted, scratching the back of his head as his eyes turned cloudy.

My chest drummed at his confession. I struggled to find the words to respond, and strength to utter them. I felt as if I had been suffocated via a plastic bag, with no air left for me to breathe.

"I-I like you t-too," I stuttered helplessly and breathlessly, as Victor's head lifted in surprise.

He gave me a warm smile, buzzing with joy. I extended my arm and squeezed his hand lightly. We sat in silence for a bit, enjoying the sunny weather, a fresh breeze hitting the sides of our faces.

"Hey Emma." Victor piped up. I looked to him curiously.

"Yeah?"

"How would you like to come to my party this weekend?"

I didn't need to think.

"I would love to."

Victor looked overjoyed.

"You can wear whatever you want and bring whoever you want." He added, and I made a mental note to tell the others about the party.

Just as I was going to ask about the details of the party, Victor's phone buzzed. He took it out with an apologetic look on his, reading a message on the screen and then sighing in annoyance.

"Emma, I'm so sorry, but I have to go." Victor announced, sadness filling his gorgeous grey eyes.

"Is it hockey again?" I thought back to other times he had to leave when we were together. Victor, being a very sport-involved guy in the school was constantly sought after, for practice or matches.

Victor nodded.

"I'm really sorry, I will make it up to you." He promised, standing up and dusting himself off. I stood up too, to bid him farewell.

"It's ok." I lied, clearly affected by how sport took over his life. But I couldn't complain, it was something he enjoyed.

I leaned forward, giving Victor a small kiss on the cheek. He looked startled at first, but a satisfied smile plastered his face, so I knew he enjoyed it.

"Bye Victor."

"Bye Emma."