speed

Derek's smile was infectious, and his good mood seemed unaffected by anything, impossible to be derailed. I found myself wanting to share it.

"I knew I would be offering you a job today, because I don't offer interviews lightly, Virginia. I did extensive research on you for several months before asking you to come in for an interview." My eyebrows disappeared under the thick fringe of my bangs as I took in this information.

Derek continued, "I have been scouting you since before you graduated from the university last spring. I know your major was in advertising and marketing, but your minor in hospitality caught my attention.

When I looked into your background a bit I was pleased to find you had extensive experience in the service industry-- both with your family's place back home in Iowa and here in Tucson."

"How did you know— " I began, but thought better of it. Something in me either A) didn't seem to mind Derek Galloway knowing these things about me, or B) was afraid to find out how much he knew... or how.

Seeing an opportunity as I stood there frozen, digesting what he had said, Derek cupped my elbow and guided me to a sleek black sports car that was parallel parked on the street.

I let him steer me along without question, my curiosity getting the best of me at this point. Clicking the key fob, he opened the passenger door and gestured for me to get inside, all the while continuing his speech, recounting my life to me like a movie trailer.

"From what I can tell, you've successfully held every position possible in a restaurant and hotel, and you have reference lists for days of owners and managers who sing your praises."

Against my better judgement, I slipped into the passenger seat of the sleek car and smoothed my slim-fitting dress over my thick thighs as Derek snapped the door closed.

If his intention was to woo me with an inventory of my professional accomplishments, he was off to a good start. I knew I was capable, and I enjoyed basking in the glow of my reputation.

Even if it is exactly the thing I'm trying distance myself from. Still, I didn't work my ass off to be an unknown. I would just like to be known for something besides being a cutthroat businesswoman at twenty one.

I stared at his rugged physique as he crossed in front of the car and hopped into the driver's seat next to me, bringing with him the cool smell of pine, mint, and hops. It was at once intoxicating and comforting.

Settling into his seat, he let his head fall to the side like a puppy, regarding me from under thick eyelashes before continuing his monologue. I forgot where my lungs were for a second.

"You graduated top of your class, magna cum laude, in only three years, then negotiated a 40,000 dollar per year salary out of a position that was originally posted to hire an unpaid intern.

You know marketing and advertising. You know what works. You can sell anything. Every restaurateur and hotel owner in the state has heard of you, and every one of them wants you to sell them to the public."

Listening intently until now, I opened my mouth to interject, but Derek stopped me by grasping my small hand between his calloused, warm fingers.

"But I know that isn't what Virginia Sullivan is looking for." Derek released my hand with a wink and turned the key in the ignition. Revving the car, he adjusted his mirrors and checked the road before pulling smoothly out of the parking space.

His words caught me off guard, but when I realized the immense truth in them I was more intrigued by this job than ever.

I knew what I was good at. But just being good at something doesn't mean you should do it.

I did want more. I wanted a challenge, and an adventure, and a whirlwind. A glance at Derek's profile solidified my decision. No one with a jawline like that could possibly be boring... at work or at home.

After a moment's daydreaming about Derek at home, I cleared my throat. "And, just what exactly do you think Ginny is looking for?" I asked, my voice clipped and high pitched.

Where the fuck did that come from, Ginny?!  He's hot, sure, but for fucks sake control yourself it's a job interview!

Derek tilted his head towards me but never took his eyes off the road as he answered, "Virginia is looking for something different. An adventure." His eyes slid to me, just for a second. "And maybe Virginia needs a bit of a challenge."

Holy shit holy shit holy shit.

I have always hated the sound of my full name... until now. That smooth, deep, lightly accented drawl teasing out every syllable of my name, feels like callused hands against my hot skin.

I couldn't fight the smile that crept across my face at the double entendre, but it slipped off my face when I considered the possibility that it was unintentional.

"Ginny," I corrected again, crossing my arms and pretending to be focused on the road ahead, my mind reeling at his scent. His words. The closeness of him.

He surely didn't look as tyrannical as the rumors said he was.

Derek's rough, calloused hand caught my exposed thigh in a firm, suggestive grip, making me jump and melt at the same time. "As long as you are in my service, you will answer to 'Virginia,' do you understand?" 

Red flag! RED FLAG! What was it I was thinking about those tyrannical rumors?

But as loud as my inner voices were screaming at me, I didn't move his hand from my leg, and as I turned my eyes back to the road ahead, I answered him with a hint of sarcasm, "yes, sir." 

His fingertips squeezed my thigh for what felt like a nanosecond, before letting go of me completely, leaving me chilled with the lack of warmth from his hand. 

 "See, I knew you'd like to be challenged," he teased softly before revving the car and swerving around several cars on the road.

Somehow I felt like this interview was going as fast as the car was... and I felt like Derek's lithe fingers had as much control over me as they did this car.

As he switched gears, deftly flicking the shifter up into 6th, his knuckles brushed my leg and my eyes shot to the place where his skin had made contact with mine.

I don't know what I expected, but it certainly wasn't the instant heat that spread between my legs at that touch.

***
Author's note: Ginny or Virginia? Which do you guys prefer? I'm honestly still torn. But I do love the way a multi syllable name rolls off an Irishman's tongue...

Vote and comment!! 😘