lunch

"Absolutely," I answered matter-of-factly, spinning around in my chair to forward my calls and lock my computer. As I gathered my purse and phone, I spared a glance at Martin, who was glowering at me from the desk across from mine, clearly jealous that my lunch hour was going to include Jake. 

I stepped out from behind my desk and took in the full impact of Jake's height and commanding presence, even as he stood leaning casually against the door frame. The contrasting colors of his baseball tee accentuated the curve of his arms, and well-worn jeans belted low on his waist showed the lines of his muscular thighs. His dread locks were loosely tucked under a bandana today. 

"Ready?" He asked, straightening up. 

"Umm, yeah," I stammered. "Just have to let Derek know I'm leaving." 

I covered the small area into Derek's office in just a few steps. Seeing that he wasn't on the phone anymore, I opened the door quietly and stuck my head inside. 

"Derek?" I asked softly, "I'm taking lunch." When he nodded absently but didn't look up from the spreadsheet he was studying, I decided to test the waters a little. 

I cleared my throat a bit before adding, "With Jake." 

Derek's head shot up like a jack in the box when he heard Jake's name. I watched curiously as his expression went from one of surprised confusion, to recognition, to possessive need. He shoved his chair back and stood, but didn't make a move to come nearer. After swallowing audibly, he lowered himself stiffly back into his chair. 

I tried to keep my face unreadable as I ducked out of the office, but it was impossible to keep the triumphant grin from my lips. My suspicions were correct- Derek didn't like to share. 

"Ready now?" Jake asked again, rubbing his hands together in excitement. I grinned at his demeanor, letting his positive mood replace Derek's dark one. 

"Ready." I confirmed, and Jake stretched out his hand for me to take. I slid my hand into his and he intertwined our fingers tightly before pulling my hand up and kissing my knuckles one by one. 

"So sweet," he murmured. His boyish grin made me swoon as my hazel eyes met his golden brown ones. 

"I'll see you in an hour, Martin," I choked out, trying to catch my breath. When I didn't hear a response I looked back over my shoulder to see Martin clutching his smoothie cup with such a death grip it was in danger of exploding. He met my eyes and mouthed 'lucky bitch!' before crossing his arms grumpily. I giggled and stuck out my tongue at him as Jake led me out the door into the afternoon sunshine. 

Jake tugged me down the stairs of the office building and across the street to where a black on black Range Rover Sport SUV was parked. He opened the passenger door for me and jogged around to the driver's side to get in. 

I took in the incredible scent of Jake as I fastened my seatbelt, his luxurious combination of spice and vanilla making my mouth water. I cast a glance around the interior of the SUV as Jake maneuvered out of the parking space. 

Once we were on the road and Jake settled into driving, I asked, "Where are we going for lunch?" 

The grin that always hid just beneath the surface of Jake's face broke through immediately. 

"Just to the park," he answered, giving a non-committal shrug. 

"Did you cook?" I asked, but Jake just mimed zipping his lips shut. 

"Did you pack us a picnic?" I pressed, determined to get him talking more. "Tuna sandwiches and potato chips?"

Jake's hearty, genuine laugh filled the whole SUV as he shook his head at my questions. 

"I do better than tuna sandwiches and chips for my girl, Ginny." Jake answered, his voice full of mirth yet edged with sensuality. 

My body screamed at me from all different directions at his innuendo, and at him calling me "his girl," and at the fact that my panties were still damp from watching Derek's possessive outburst in his office just a few minutes ago. I felt like an unfaithful girlfriend, letting my body be so influenced by more than one man. Then my mind screamed at my body that this is what I signed up for, and if I wasn't up for the job, I could walk away at any moment. 

But looking at Jake, I felt the confirmation I had felt in the conference room at the ranch a few days ago. I did sign up for this. And I wasn't backing down without seeing the job through to its fullest. 

I bit my lip as Jake pulled into the parking lot at a small city park, empty but for a couple kids playing pick-up basketball on the court at one end. Pine, fir, and spruce trees dotted the landscape, and a fish pond and fountain took center stage several yards ahead of us. 

"Wait here," Jake whispered excitedly when I took of my seatbelt. 

My brows knitted together over my eyes suspiciously, but I didn't say anything, just nodded. 

Jake grinned and got out of the car, only to open the back hatch a moment later and start unloading all kinds of things I couldn't see. 

"What's going on back there, Jake?" I called, craning my neck to see over the back seat. 

"Quit peeking!" Jake chided playfully. 

Shaking my head and chuckling, I dug my phone out of my bag and checked the time. It was already twenty minutes into my lunch break. If it took twenty minutes to get back to work, we weren't going to have much time to actually have lunch. 

After scrolling through Instagram for a few minutes, I looked back to see what Jake was doing, but he was no where to be seen. The back hatch was still open, but no Jake. Startled, I grabbed the door handle and ejected myself from the car, tumbling out in a heap and rushing to the back of the car. 

"Jake?" I called, looking around the deserted parking lot. Still no sign of him. It was like he had been abducted by aliens or something. "JAKE?" I yelled, louder, starting to panic.

"Right here, babe." 

I twirled around with my back against the open hatch of the SUV. Jake was walking towards me out of a small grove of trees, his boyish grin solidly in place, not a care in the world. Breathing heavy, I placed a hand over my heart and sank down on the bumper. 

"Shit, Jake, I thought you'd been kidnapped or something!" I gasped.

Jake's laughter resonated loudly through the empty lot as he guffawed, leaning forward with hands on his knees. 

"You thought I got snatched? Me?" Jake held out his arms wide and turned in a circle, his head thrown back in laughter. "Look at me, Ginny!" 

I didn't need to be told to look at him, as my eyes were already glued to the sliver of skin I could see between his shirt and jeans when he raised his arms. As he spun slowly in the sunshine, I watched as the light penetrated his thin white shirt and I could see the shadowed outlines of his pecs and abs.

 I crossed my arms and scowled at him until he was finished. 

"You left me in the car!" I whined. 

"Just to get set up!" he whined back in the same tone. 

I couldn't help it. I cracked a smile. 

Still chuckling, Jake grabbed my hand again in that easily intimate way, and led me towards the trees.