austin

Virginia's POV

That breakfast was fire af.

My mind wandered back to the warm, syrup drenched slices of French toast as Derek and Jake rambled on about spa facilities and conference rooms.

We had been wandering the halls of Galloway Ranch for over 10 minutes, and I was lost as a year-old Easter egg. I'd need a map to get around this place.

Plus, I could really use a nap. It was barely noon but it had already been a long day, considering how it started.

Then again, it had improved drastically since then. I glanced at Jake's back side as he leaned into a private massage room to pull the door closed.

Sheesh. No wonder my mind keeps choosing to think about sausage and eggs.

My eyes flickered over to Derek. He was looking at his phone, brows furrowed as he read a text message. The light from the screen illuminated his sharp jawline from below, and I let my gaze wander slowly over the scruffy shadow that softened it.

Damn. Make that a double order. Good shit, I'm delusional.

Derek's voice gave me a little buzz, and I clung to it like the last drops of a triple espresso.

"Luc is on his way."

"Better hurry up and get Austin, then. Luc hates coming out to the stables in his fancy Italian shoes." Jake curtsied and did a show-girl point to his boots. Rolling his eyes, he added to me, "Luc is a pretty boy."

I laughed at Jake's playfulness but I was intrigued as well.

Derek led the way out a set of iron accented French doors and through a breezeway, then turned to take a dirt path that led to a huge stable and riding arena.

I followed along as quickly as I could, my shoes collecting little bits of dust and gravel as we went.  I slowed down to spare my poor feet, and took a moment to look back at Galloway Ranch's main lodge. It was expansive, and really beautiful.

Turning back to the stables I saw Jake and Derek several yards ahead of me, nearing the luxurious structure as a Dutch door swung open and a tall, thin figure stepped out.

I froze right there in the middle of the Arizona afternoon.

Damn.

He was 6'0" tall with square shoulders and a lithe, athletic build, and skin tanned dark from hours of outdoor labor contrasted beautifully against the light blue fitted t-shirt he was wearing.

I gawked at the three men in front of me as Derek and Jake fist bumped their business partner and said their hellos. The trio turned to face me at once when I neared them.

Derek spoke first, stepping forward to grab my hand as he introduced me, "Virginia, meet Austin Adams. Austin this is Virginia Sullivan, our new personal assistant."

The way he said the words "personal assistant" made my knees tingle.

"It's nice to meet you," I said, shaking Austin's hand.

"Pleasure's all mine," Austin replied with a slight southern accent, his deep brown eyes locked on my emerald gaze. His hand lingered for a moment, clasping my fingers lightly as they slid from his hand.

"Austin, I hate to cut it short, but Luc is almost here. We don't have much time." Derek was already heading back down the dirt path we had just come down.

I looked from him to Austin to Jake, and caught the two of them mouthing to each other excitedly.

It was clear they were talking about a woman, from the gestures they were making.

What are the chances it's me?

It could have been offensive, but I found it pretty funny, actually. If I wanted to keep this very well-paying job I'd have to be down for... whatever with these guys.

When Austin caught my eye he looked guilty, then grinned and slapped Jake's shoulder to get his attention.

Jake stopped his miming and tucked his lips to hide a smile as he looked at me.

"Come on, Virginia, we're meeting Luc in the conference room upstairs, so that the five of us can finalize the paperwork."

It took me a minute to realize the five of us was four powerful businessmen, and me.

"It's rare the four owners are in the same place at the same time, so we have to make the most of it," Jake added as we neared the patio of the lodge.

"What sort of paperwork?" I interjected, suddenly apprehensive of what I could accidentally sign my life away for.

"Just the legal stuff, to lay down some ground rules, and make sure you feel in control. Oh, and non disclosure agreements of course."

We walked along the patio past the door we had come out of and continued through an outdoor dining area. Finally, we reached a set of French doors that entered into the great room of the lodge.

Derek opened them for us and waved us through. Once we were inside he caught up to me and laced his fingers through mine as we walked.

"Hey Derek," Austin's deep southern drawl floated over my shoulder.

Derek turned to look at Austin, brows furrowed in question.

"I didn't get to talk to the new girl much, do you mind if she comes with me to finish my rounds after we finish up here?" Austin glanced at me as he talked, cocking an eyebrow in confirmation.

I nodded minutely, not sure if I was allowed to choose or not.

Austin grinned at me and winked.

"Yeah I guess that's fine," Derek answered from my left.

"I can come back later to take you home," he added to me. "Unless you'd rather have Austin drive you...?" Derek left the question hanging in the air as we started up the steps of a wooden staircase identical to the one we had ascended earlier.

"I—" I began, but my words caught in my throat as I topped the landing and looked into the eyes of the most beautiful man I had ever seen.

Jake wasn't playing. This dude is pretty af.

Sorry for the short chapter guys!!! I have another one coming tonight or tomorrow, just check back! Luc is hottttt you won't want to miss it!!

💋