chapter thirteen

Authors note:

Oof slightly angsty lol,,, ah well.

Like always, comments and votes are really appreciated! Let me know if you see any grammar/spelling mistakes and I'll change them.

Enjoy! :)

----------

One month later

The two of them had carried on driving around and staying in various inns and hotels. They'd hit a few more stores and were pretty loaded on cash now, too.

Although, they'd really only been living off of takeout food and fast food restaurants for the past couple months, and Sam finally decided to speak up about it.

"We should buy some ingredients and cook for ourselves"
They were currently in the car and driving through a random town (they had passed through tons and stayed at a couple). There were various road signs pointing to a large shopping centre up ahead.

"But I wanted to get Nando's tonight" Noah whined, coming to a stop at a red light and looking across at Sam, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel.
"We've had Nando's three times this week" Sam deadpanned, looking at him with an 'are you serious' expression.

Noah sighed a long sigh, starting to drive again after the light changed.
"Fine, we can 'cook for ourselves'" He took a hand off the steering wheel to air quote Sam's earlier statement.
Sam sat back in his seat smugly, putting his feet up on the dashboard.
"You're too kind."

-----

They found a (huge) shopping centre and shopped for some summer clothes first, seeing as it was starting to heat up and most their clothes consisted of jeans and hoodies.

Then they found a grocery store and began to look around.
"So what are we making then, chef?" Noah asked, shifting a couple of the bags he was carrying in his arms (Sam had dumped them all on him).

"Well... it's Sunday! Let's make a roast" he shrugged, then grabbed a basket and walked to the vegetables.
"Sounds good" Noah replied, following.

------

They had split up in order to get more ingredients faster, and Noah was on the way back to Sam with some food in his arms. He stopped, however, when he noticed Sam staring intently at something.

"What's up?" He dumped the food in the basket Sam was holding and followed his line of sight, which landed on a couple and their young daughter.

Noah turned his head back to face Sam, confused.
"Sam, what?"
Sam shook his head and looked away from the family. Then looked back at them again and frowned.

"I-nothing..just.."
Sam was clearly distressed about something, but couldn't get it out. Noah stepped in front of him (breaking his view of the couple) and rested a hand on his shoulder.
"Did they say something to you?" Noah asked, anger seeping in at the thought.

Sam shook his head and rubbed his eyes with shaking hands.
"No! No..no"
"Then what? Spill"

Sam took a deep, shaky breath and looked past Noah and at the group behind him again.
"I think... I think that's my dad"