five.

IT FELT LIKE SHE COULDN'T EVEN SPEAK

IT FELT LIKE SHE COULDN'T EVEN SPEAK. It felt exactly like how it felt when she had a hand wrapped around her throat holding her in a choking position. The blonde sat on her couch and watched the news intently with her phone sitting on the table in front of her. The story of the bombing in Wakanda played over and over like a never ending music box, but instead of being beautiful, it was tragic.

She waited for her phone to start ringing with the name Steve lighting up on her phone. All she desperatly wanted to hear was that Bucky had nothing to do with the bombing and that she wasn't going insane which wouldn't surprise her at any point in time. She tuned out the voices in her head, the voices on the TV screen. In that moment, the only sound she felt like she could hear was the sound of her heart beating so quickly. "Come on, Steve." She muttered out with her hands over her mouth and nose, her eyes locked on the silent cell phone.

She wanted to call so badly. Just to make sure, but she knew she had to wait for him to call. The only way she could call was if she had a lead, and she may have a lead, but she still didn't want to call at all. The nerves and fear filling her up stopped her. Her leg was bouncing up and down simultaneously out of a bad habit that she had always had since she was just a little girl. Only she hadn't done it in so long, the last time being when she waited for her dad to come home after her mother's death. He never did either, so she lived with her grandmother until she was financially stable.

Her heart beat felt like it was increasing each second her phone didn't go off. All of the lights in her apartment were turned off. The curtains were drawn. The only light that was lighting the room up was the bright light coming from the screen. Chloe was up in an instant walking to her kitchen looking for any food to comfort her and to calm her down. She searched the refrigerator up and down for anything only to find nothing she desired. That's when she started searching her cabinets until she came upon the brownie mix. She flipped the kitchen lights on and began her baking when her phone started to ring causing her attention to go from the batter to the phone.

Hope filled her as she rushed to the buzzing phone and found the name she wanted showing up on the screen. She swiped to answer and slowly walked back to the kitchen to finish her brownies as she brought the phone up to her ear. "What the hell is going on in Wakanda?" Her stern voice went through the phone as she started to pour the batter into the pan.

"You saw the news," He paused. "Yes, Bucky was by the building during the explosion. I'm looking at him through a screen right now and they have him locked in a box for everyone's protection."

"There's no way he was the cause of that explosion, Steve. I thought that I saw him three months ago. Then I saw him yesterday and he was fine. When I woke up the next morning, he was gone." She sighed as she stood up straight and leaned against the counter next to the stove that was now baking the brownies.

"Wait, you knew where he was and didn't call me?" Chloe could hear the anger building up in his voice.

"Look, he wasn't the Winter Soldier. At least not after a while. I couldn't tell if he was Bucky or the Winter Soldier, but yes he was here at my place. He knew that I was following him and he came to confront me in a way which led up to me showing him the files because he wanted to remember."

"You said those files were classified. I couldn't look at them yet you let the person who is a threat read them?" Steve's voice got a little quieter as he spoke making her suspect that someone was around that he didn't want knowing about anything.

"To my defense, I was in a chokehold when it happened. I would have done about anything to save myself and if it involved letting him read those files, then yeah I gave him the files to read." Chloe defended herself as she crossed an arm across her chest and rolled her eyes as if he could see her actions. "Steve, please, was he the one who bombed the place?"

"I don't believe he was. I'm trying everything I can to get people to believe that he didn't do anything. He ran though as soon as everything happened and I get why he did, but he shouldn't have ran." He was outside talking in a normal voice like he was comfortable with everything that he was saying and not afraid of who could hear.

"I mean he kind of had someone in an all black suit following him which by the way who is that guy?" Her eyebrow raised as she sat down on one of the bar stools she had in her kitchen for when she was lazy and wanted to sit.

"That is Black Panther. Better known as King T'Challa." Chloe's jaw dropped open at his words, staring off into space.

"Well, shit. Just about everyone in the world is a superhero except for me."

"Uh, look, I gotta go. I'll try calling you later and in the mean time Chloe, don't do anything stupid or try to do anything revolving Bucky."

"No promises." She sighed into the phone as the line went dead. She looked over at the timer and saw that she had five minutes left until the brownies should be done. Chloe put her phone down on the counter glancing back at the TV that played the same news and then glanced at her desk.

"I really wish I hadn't gotten in the middle of this." She muttered to herself with a sigh, putting her head in her hands. Truthfully, she didn't know why she got into the middle of the Bucky Barnes crisis. Now she wanted out more than ever.

author's note
sorry for the shitty update guys! next chapter will, hopefully, be a lot better than this!! also, i might make this book a thing where i always update on thursdays while for the social media book i will post two new chapters almost every day. if you haven't checked out olivia, i suggest you do since it follows the lives of our favorite mcu actors!! i love you all.