Cake, Chocolate and Table Cloths

BEN'S POV

"Stubborn, ridiculously stubborn, bordering impossible."

Jace laughed quietly, "you did force her into a pack she doesn't want to be a part of."

I growled, "Shut up Jace."

I continued to pace in front of him while he played with a coin mindlessly between his fingers.

"She needs to be protected, this keeps her alive."

Jace nodded easily and switched the coin to his other hand, "fine, just don't expect her to cooperate with you."

I growled and he laughed again,

"what the fuck is so funny?"

Jace caught the coin with a metallic snap and looked up at me, his mouth curving into a grin,  "I'm imagining her clawing you're cheek."

My fists tightened, "And why is that funny?"

His smile widened, "because, if anyone forced you into something you didn't want, I think you'd do the exact same thing. You're similar and you can't see it."

My snarl ripped through the air, but I was rudely interrupted by my ring tone.

"Meg," I said into the phone, walking away from Jace's grinning face.

My head began to throb. The wedding. Carrie had consumed my mind for the past three days, I hadn't thought once about the wedding. Guilt flooded me as Meg prattled on about cake.

I thought about my family, they had pushed for our engagement. They loved Meg, demanding, decisive Meg. Why my wolf howled to be next to Carrie every second moment was beyond me. The stubborn warrior that was Carrie Stewart was in every way opposite to her sister.

"Ben? Can you hear me?"

I snapped awake and tried desperately to remember what she had just said.

"Sorry, what?"

I heard her sigh on the other end.

"I was telling you I've chosen vanilla, Prudy says it's the in cake this year. I ran a hand through my hair wearily,

"Weren't we doing half chocolate half vanilla, and what's a Prudy?"

Megan huffed, "Yes dear, but chocolate isn't in vanilla is. And Prudence is my cake consultant."

I decided not to point out the fact that I had no idea what a cake consultant was.

"Vanilla it is, I'll see you tonight."

"Thanks, honey."

She hung up, I slid my phone into my pocket. Mourning the loss of my side of the cake.

It was already six o clock when I pushed open the door to the Stewart household. Megan greeted me with a shrieky hello and a quick peck before leading me into the dining room. My eyes searched the room for Carrie and I tried not to show disappointment when I came up short.

Meg had disappeared into the lounge with her cousin, who I thought was called Beverly. And I fell dutifully into conversation with her uncle and father. I've always hated family dinners, but by 7 o clock, I thought I was pulling off my 'I am comfortable' act.

Then she walked in. Her hair hung in a simple chocolate mass about her head. Her simple forest green shirt, sneakers, and skinny jeans were made smarter by gold leaf earrings. She was stunning, in a way that was effortless. But none of that mattered because the look on her face was lethal A perfect mask of charm that would break at the corners when her smirk showed through. Carrie.