Fighting and Kissing.

DANTE'S POV!!!

It was nightfall, and still, the group had barely spoken. We set up camp in a clearing, the stone cup was nestled tightly in Rent's satchel.  Some of us were prepping tents, others repacking backpacks, while the rest sat and watched the fire.

My eyes trailed Carrie as she stood,  

"I'm going to get more firewood."

It wasn't a bad excuse, almost everyone was either too busy bustling around, or too lost in thought to really notice. It had been a long day. 

She began walking away, her chocolate waves looking black in the darkness.

Fifteen minutes later I followed, tracking her right to end of the woods, on the bank of a deep round pound. Lilly pads lay in the water, the shiny white Lilly flowers floated next to them, glowing in the moonlight.

She stood silently her head tilted to the sky. Dry pine cracked under my feet and she spun around.

"Dante."

My eyes met hers, and my usual snippy little comment melted on my tongue.

"Carrie." I breathed.

I listened to her breath catch and she stepped back quickly.

"You're an idiot." She said, walking back a little further.

I raised an eyebrow,  "you don't even know what I was going to,

"You're going to stand there and tell me about some connection between us."

My fist clenched and I stepped forward, a low growl rumbled in my chest, "are you telling me you don't feel it, Carrie?" I challenged.

"Look at me and tell me you don't feel anything... And then I'll call you a liar."

A snarl ripped out her throat, and she stepped forward. Always so proud. Her honour was everything.

"I am not a liar. "

"Then admit it. There's something  here."

She growled again, "their cant be. That's impossible. Ben,"

Fury hit me like a ton of bricks.

"Right. Ben. Your so-called soul mate. Did you ever plan on  telling me or was that not on your schedule?"

Now she was angry. Carrie was never the type to stay quiet. She tried, she ached to ignore things, to be submissive. It was amusing to see her try. She could blow like a fuse.

"Oh, my fucking soul! First of all, I didn't have to tell you anything, stop acting as I deprived you of information you were entitled to."

She took a breath and glared at me,

"Secondly, my mate is engaged to my sister, Dante! That's not exactly something I wanted to advertise!"

She wasn't wrong. Carrie wasn't mine to be possessive over. I took a shaky breath and pulled in my anger. My hand ran through my hair and I looked up at her.

"When is Ben leaving her?"

She turned a back to me, "He isn't."

My eyes widened,  "he won't leave her?"

She shook her head and turned away from me. "No. I won't let him."

Her voice was tired, serious.

I walked to her slowly, holding her waist from behind.

"Why not?"

She shook her head, smiling bitterly despite herself.

"I can't let him hurt her. She's my sister."