New Missions

I sat on the edge of my bed, trying hard to focus my mind. While both boys were barely on speaking terms, they were both in firm agreement that they would find a way for me to back out of the tournament. I wasn't optimistic.

My mind was still racing, it made no sense, what was the queen gaining with me as a competitor? I had a feeling, a gut feeling, this Tornment would end up being a lot more than just a competition. Something darker, deeper and far more important was going on. And I intended to find out what.

My bags were packed for Cawdor, my feelings a total jumble. Dante would compete, mostly to spite Ben.

Oh god, Ben, my fingers tangled in my hair. Never had I been so angry with anyone before. But until I could escape his pack, there was no way around it. I was his, we were an official couple. I never thought he would go this far. And my blood boiled with fury.

Ben had given me a book outlining what the Tournament actually was, and I reached for it, flipping it open. The competition consisted of twelve different challenges. Some tested strength, other mental ability, creativity, everything. It was an all-male competition, until now. Apparently, the competition allowed space for the Valderian, despite my gender. We would be competing against twenty other princes, all from different packs, all of us living in the Cawdor kingdom for a month while the competition lasted.

I was getting serious hunger games vibes. The competition started out with a gigantic ball, thrown in the Cawdor castle. That's where we would meet the other contestants, make possible allies and meet the Tournament controllers. Everything about this was terrifying.

A car honked outside and I snapped the book shut, tucking it under my arm. I grabbed my case and began making my way down the stairs. The months to come were unpredictable. I was being forced into being Ben's girlfriend, I knew Dante was nowhere near ready to give up, we were all competing for a title in competition with high death risk, and there was something much, much bigger going on. Not to mention my prophecy, I had no idea what being the lady of life meant. I was hoping to ignore that detail.

But something told me it would come up. I jumped into the car, Ben helped with my case, and Dante was in the back. It was an hour's drive to the airport and a six-hour flight to Cawdor. My heart pounded, and my blood rushed. Our last mission was tough, excruciating even. But this, I wasn't entirely convinced I would come out alive.

THE END