Connections

"Carrie Stewart, I've wanted to meet you for a long time. And I am not disappointed."

I stared back at the king, he sat in his slimy throne, looking back at us with huge pop-out eyes.

Trolls, I decided were some of the ugliest creatures ever. They were covered in green leathery skin, which strangely, had an uneven clumpy layer of slime on its surface.

His ballooning stomach squished a little as he slouched, and his oddly skinny ankles spread out into webbed froggy feet. When the king breathed, it sounded laboured, almost asthmatic.

"Funny," I replied tiredly, "I've never wanted to meet you, and now that I have, I could not be less impressed."

The troll let out a huffy breath., his buggy eyes looking me up and down. He sounded wheezy and gross.

"Snarky, that's hot."

Ben let out a low growl and stepped forward, his fists clenched. The king rolled his eyes and sat back.

"The royal couple in my throne room, he threw up his gooey green arms, "I am honoured."

His eyes met mine again and he grinned, "I know hundreds of creatures who would pay a pretty penny for you two.

My arms crossed and I met his gaze.

"Why? Ben isn't the king, there are other princes who will be fighting for the title of werewolf king. What makes us so important?"

The king smirked and sat back, his mucusy fingers tapping on the armrest of his throne.

"Ben is the most likely candidate to win. All bets are on him. The fact that his mate is not only a warrior but the Valerian,  makes it even better."

I stumbled back a little, my mind racing,

"But, but how did you know that I'm,"

The troll rolled his eyes, "not everyone in your little team is trustworthy Carrie, there's a mole in your ranks."

I felt like I had been slapped in the face, but the king didn't seem to notice. He sighed and leaned forward a little.

"Carrie, both you and Ben are strong, he will be king, you're the Valderian queen. The magic that creates the mate connection between you two, will be off the charts. There are many things one can do with that kind of magic. We can use you for spells, curses, everything."

I stepped back, panic beginning to rise in my chest.

"You will be the most powerful couple in our world for centuries to come. Don't even get me started on the power that could be extracted from your children."

Ben's hands balled into fists and he let out an angry snarl. I put a hand on his arm, then looked back at the king.

"Look frog face. Ben and I aren't even together. Our bond isn't that strong, I promise. How about you let us go."

The king let out a laugh that sounded more like the croak of a bullfrog.

"You're resisting your bond?" He laughed again, "that's pathetic, you won't last. The minute Carrie turns eighteen it won't be physically possible. I am actually surprised you've managed for this long."

It was my turn to growl but the king couldn't care less.

"What exactly do you want from us?" Ben asked, turning into mediator while I tried to keep my wolf under wraps.

"Me? Nothing. But as I said, I know some people who would love to meet you. There's going to be an auction tonight. Your lives to the highest bidder."

My stomach lurched and Ben gripped my waist, keeping me steady.

The king grinned, "my staff will help you clean up, you must look good for tonight. The cleaner the product the better it sells."