The Girl Never Just Waits In The Car

My tea was tasteless in my mouth, the heavy thoughts racing through my mind seemed to have numbed my taste buds. The boys had been talking for ages about where the pack that had Meg was. The pack was big, the second biggest in England. Their head of security is the best in England full stop.

"So there's nothing we can do."
The boys stopped talking and turned to me.

"That's not what we're saying, Carrie."

I set my mug down and stepped forward. "But you might as well be! Megan is stuck in some hell hole, god knows if she's even alive."

I shook my head and ran a hand through my hair "and we've wasted enough time."

Ben stepped toward me, "No, I know that look, Carrie. You're going to stay here, where it's safe, while we figure out a plan."

I shook my head and began making for the door. "No, finding out what they wanted was important. But now it's time to act."

His hand snapped out and his fingers gripped my wrist.

"Ben, we know where they are, I'm not going to sit here and wait while they have my sister."

He pulled me closer angrily. "So what's your plan, Carrie? You're going to run into their territory and wait for them to capture you as well?"

I shook my head and tried to twist my wrist out of his grip. "I don't know yet, but if this pack is as big as you say it is, I'm not letting you attack them with your own men. And we can't sacrifice Dante."

I thrust my wrist out of his hold and turned away. "I'm going to go get my sister."

I walked toward the door.

"Carrie."

I turned and Dante made his way toward me.

"There's a very easy plan that you aren't seeing."

He stopped in the middle of me and Ben. "Here's what's going to happen. We're going to the territory, you're getting your sister back and I'm going to get the cup."

"Dante, no,"

He held out his hand I kept quiet.

"But, once I've found it; we give them a replica. We keep the cup and we save Megan."

I stared at him, then glanced at Ben. It wasn't a bad plan.

"It's called a double-cross sweetheart."

I grinned and Dante smiled.

"The pack is in Essex, we all need to get going...tonight." Said Ben, stepping forward.

Dante smirked and winked at me,

"I call shotgun."

**********

My heart was racing, my palms sweating. We had driven for hours, not stopping once,  finally, we were here. Their territory was huge, bordered by heavy gum trees and thick bush.

"So we just walk right in?"

Ben nodded at me and I nibbled my lip, trying not to show my anxiety.

"No worries sweetheart, we're just walking into the territory of a gigantic pack with a vicious army of wolves who could kill us on sight." Said Dante, as he squared his shoulders and looked out onto their territory.

"Not helpful Dante,"  I muttered.

"Dante's right, Carrie, I want you to stay in the car," Ben said, glancing at me.

"I glanced up at him, surprised that he thought me staying put was even an option.

"Fuck you," I replied simply.

Dante chuckled,

"Shut up Dante." Said Ben, while keeping his gaze locked on mine.

"Carrie, get back in the car, now."

I looked at him again, pure disgust at the very idea pulling at my features.
"Once again, fuck you. My sister's in there. Attempt to leave me out of this one more time, and I swear to god, you'll lose an eye."

Dante chuckled again next to me.

"Shut up Dante," I said, still looking at Ben.

"There's no way I am staying put Ben."

Our eyes were locked in a silent battle, so intense it was giving me a headache. The warm brown hue of his gaze penetrated my own stare, I glared right back at him, and slowly, ever so slowly, he yielded.

"Fine, he growled reluctantly, "at least stay close to me then."

"Fine"  I growled, "but don't hover around me like a mother hen, I can actually take care of myself, in case you haven't noticed."

We glared at each other for another moment then turned back to the territory. I nodded at Dante then at Ben, and we began walking through the bush/tree border, nearing their packhouse.

"Like cattle to the slaughter," Dante whispered in a mockingly low voice.

"Shut up Dante." Ben and I said, in perfect unison.