Favours and Flirting

The Queen's chamber was gigantic. The floor, walls, and ceiling were covered in thick green moss. Dandelions sprung up in random clumps all around the chamber.

My eyes landed on a huge jar right at the back of the room, it's lid reaching the top of the roof. It was filled with deep purple liquid, and my stomach lurched as I saw him. Ben, floating in the liquid, his hair soft and floating and his face so pale it made me sick. In the middle of the room a tall throne made of thick and thin twisting barky roots, it looked as though it was growing right out of the ground.

But when my eyes landed on her, I felt as though my pulse was consuming me. She looked around 30, but I knew she was a lot older than that. A few millen isa is older.

"Your, your majesty?"

The queen's head snapped up to look at me, her eyes were black pools, no whites. It was terrifying. Thick green hair fell to her waist and full red lips pouted out above a small chin.

"Who are you?"

My hands shook but I straightened my posture and tightened my jaw.

"Your majesty my name is Lilienth Pendrill. This is my husband, Larkin. We've just opened a new bakery in pounds mouth. We wanted to bring you our goods. In service and proving our love and loyalty to our queen."

The queen grinned, showing sharp pointed teeth.

"You flatter my nymph. Come closer."

I tried hard not to show my relief and stepped forward, Rent following suit by my side.

The queen slid off her throne, her deep purple dress draping heavily down her sides. Her thin pale fingers reached out and took a pastry off my tray.

I watched trying not to show fear as her sharp teeth gnashed at the delicate sweet. Her black eyes closed then flashed open as she grinned.

"These are delightful Lilienth"

I dipped my head, letting my eyes drift a little to the jar at the back of the room. Bonolo was dangling from a cable from the vent in the roof. Red heat was radiating off her hands and she was getting closer and closer to the lid of the jar.

"But there's something I must ask."

My eyes flicked back to hers,

"Why did you marry him?"

My eyes widened and I glanced at Rent. His eyes met mine and we both turned back to the queen.

"Your majesty?"

The queen grinned and looked between us.

"You're not in love."

I glanced back at Rent, worry penetrated his eyes.

"My queen, I can assure you,"

The queen's eyes snapped to Rent,

"I was not speaking to you, Larkin."

Her black eyes turned back to me.

"Lilienth?"

I searched her face, "Your majesty, I, "

Her dark eyes flashed and she stepped toward me. "I don't like repeating myself."

"I had to marry him, our parents made the match. It made sense."

The queen grinned easily. "You're in love with another."

I shook my head wildly, and the queen grinned wider.

"Perhaps not yet, but you will be."

Then she turned to Rent.

"And you, you gave your heart away long ago."