Part Four

-

I remember only one time that my pack went silent at the tone of our Alpha out of fear. I was only 13 then, a young girl looking for the love she never got. I was stupid and reckless, not understanding why we kept our identities hidden. I remember going out into the city, there I had met a boy. He was a wolf, a rogue but not crazed. I knew these types of rogues existed, the ones who didn't have a pack, the ones who lived on their own. Those weren't the rogues we hunted, we hunted the ones who wanted to hurt their own kind. The crazed ones who couldn't work with the beast within them.

I remember it being my first time traveling into the city alone. By then, I had already started to gain the respect of my peers, not entirely, but enough that they would see me as one of them. I was used to pain, it's what made me stronger and more tolerant than the rest of my pack.

I had spent the day with the boy, enjoying the feeling of being wanted, the feeling of having a friend. So, I invited him into our territory, telling him we were to be like spies. He was a year younger than I, and this game intrigued his adolescent mind. We played and played until we were found, pretending to be on a secret mission to take out Mr. Evil, otherwise known as Jonathan. He was the Beta at the time, a hefty man who was a stickler for rules. Follow the rules and there won't be any consequences, he'd always tell me. Though, I guess this time I should've listened. Samuel was beyond furious, his wolf rose and slaughtered the boy right in front of me. It was a lesson he never wanted me to forget, a rule to never break; Our pack stays secret.

I remember watching everyone's eyes take in the slaughter, the small body of child, head severed. Everyone surrounded me as I fell to my knees and cradled his petite body, crying for the loss of my first friend. It had been my fault. I knew the risks, I knew our rules, and that day I chose that boys destiny. This was the only time I had seen true fear in the eyes of my pack members.

That's what my mind replays as the wolves around me still, the scent of fear wafting throughout the room. My beast wanted to follow the herd, she hid in the corner of my mind, tail tucked. However, I had never been much of a rule follower. Yes, I had been scarred of the tragedy of Roland Hynes, my first friend. But my ego would never let me show my fear again. I would let my beast do all the hiding, as I would laugh in the face of danger.

So that's what I did.

The chuckle escaped my chapped lips, echoing the tense room. Apparently I had a death wish. Then again, was that not my reason for living? Only to die. My pack members eye each other, then place their focus back onto me, I could practically hear their quips through the mind link,

'of course it'd be Alex'

'leave it to Alex to laugh at one of the five Kage'

If only I had a pack link to the wolves of Mountain Ash, what could they possibly thinking. I can feel their stares, like there's a red dot on my forehead that I am oblivious to. "You think this is funny? You ruin my property and have the nerve to laugh in the face of your Alpha!" 

Great, I made him angry. 

"Speak! You Mutt! Stop hiding behind your hair and show me the pathetic wolf who wishes to disrespect me!"

  I wanted to laugh. Like really bad.

Though I suppose I had caused enough trouble for a day. I knew I would only bring trouble for my alpha if I were to continue, especially considering the fact that I had a hunch at who stood behind me. 

Power like that could only be from the infamous alpha. I was a strong wolf, but to take on one of the Kage, well even I wasn't that stupid. I could hear the low growl, a sign that the alpha was ready to attack. Then, suddenly my hair is being pulled as my body easily gives way. He drags me away from the dining room and through the double doors, I can only see the wooden doors as my scalp bleeds from the extreme force.

My wolf wants to be let free, but I had gotten myself into this situation, and I would deal with my punishment, "You smile and laugh as you assault one of my pack and then destroy my property," he throws my body like a rag doll. 

My body is weightless for a moment, like a bird taking flight, I feel the air rush past me and then I'm falling. My body hits the tiled ground, a bruise is surely to form. Anger pooled in my stomach as he grabbed at my scalp once again, my strength is no where to be found. I had let this man punish me, knowing I couldn't fight back. I knew I had to take the punishment, but the wild side of me screams at me to attack and kill. 

My thoughts begin to cloud, how could I stop this? How do I get this monster  to listen to me? He had not asked what happened in the dining room, he did not look me in the eyes and ask for the truth before throwing me around like a child would its toys. 

And thats when it hit me.

His large hand makes contact with my face, the sting of the hits lessen by the sparks that spread through my cheek. My head snaps up immediately, stormy grey eyes meet electric blue.

My wolf yips at the new discovery, her tail wagging in excitement, running in circles as if she had won the lottery. I still as his left hand slowly releases my hair. His face contorts into something I cannot decipher.

It seems that I would be breaking another rule:

      Rule #1: No Mates

Yet, here he was

What a sick fucking joke.