Afraid (pt.20)

I practically threw the phone at Rush to make the call to the Redmoon Pack about the possible traitor. My body was shivering in excitement, that I finally found a piece to the puzzle. The puzzle is not complete yet, but it will be.

I heard as he held the phone to his ear, speaking to Alpha Kane about the possible traitor in his pack. He yelled a couple times but soon stopped and said he would investigate. That was all we needed to hear.

"Do you think he'll find the traitor?" I asked

"Alpha Kane is a smart man, I'm sure he'll figure it out within the week"

I smiled at that, knowing that we've possibly taken down one of my mothers men. I needed some good news after everything about my past came out. My smile soon turned into a frown as a new thought came rushing in.

What if my mother retaliates? What if she kills more wolves? What if she attacks my pack again? What if she attacks Rush?

"Stop thinking so much. That's my job" Rush attempted at a joke

I let a little chuckle out at his attempt, "but as Luna it's also my job" I joked back

Suddenly, the room went still at my attempt to clear the elephant in the room. Maybe it was too soon?

'We are the Luna' my wolf growled

Right.

"We should get some sleep and talk tomorrow," I said as I walked to the door

A simple grunt was all I needed to exit the room.

___________

"Alexandra, you are so beautiful" a man cooed to baby in his arms. He was a rather large man with a bulky frame, almost as big as Rush. He sat down in a rocking chair with the baby in his arms, humming an old tune to her. I remember humming that tune myself. I used to do it to calm myself down after my mother would beat me. The scene then changed to a black-haired boy running around with another little boy with white blond hair, like mine. I had a sickening feeling in my gut as I witnessed the boys running and playing around. Was this my family?
A familiar white-blonde haired woman entered the scene. Her eyes are different. They seem...happy?

The scene changes again to the black-haired man and my mother, fighting. They're yelling at each other as the black-haired little boy is shaking in fear and his brother is crying uncontrollably. Then the unexpected happens, a knife is rammed through the black-haired mans' stomach. It's as if I could feel his pain.

Screaming.

That what I heard when I woke up to the earth shattering screech. I tried to jump out of my bed and find where it came from but my legs were wobbling. My hands and my whole body were shaking and I felt weak. My knees soon came in contact with the wooden floor, as did the palms of my hands. I hadn't felt this weak since living with my mother.

My bedroom door slammed open revealing a half-naked Rush. His eyes searched the room until they landed on my crouched form. His arms came around me, pulling me up and onto the bed in a sitting position. He searched my body for any harm, but soon realized I was fine.

"Why did you scream" his tone showed the Alpha in him

"I was having a nightmare. I'm sorry, I didn't realize I had yelled" my voice trembling.

"Why were you on the floor then?" He questioned

"I was a bit shaken from the dream; My legs gave out. I'm fine now, you can go"

I expected him to leave but he surprised me by pulling me into his chest. I let my arms wrap around his toned body, feeling secured and safe. I don't know if Rush and I would ever be loving mates, but for now I would take whatever I could get. With my mother alive, I needed him around. The bond makes me feel secured, like no harm could come to me, like my mother will not be able to hurt me again. At this moment, I need that reassurance. I need him.

Perhaps, this is why mates were created?