4. Crystal Vision

The Void was a sea of white, a place without definition of time or end. When all universes sank into oblivion and the last living creature heaved its final breath, the Void would still be here, always existing, never ending. It was a place of neither man nor monster for it favoured none but emptiness and solitude. Those that sought to make a home in it were driven to insanity sometimes, reshaped and remolded into someone entirely new.

At least, that was what you had learned from Ink in the ways he described himself, a small unimportant figure thrown into the Void without a universe or home, the same as Error. But if Ink had been molded into the way he was, cherished the universes and swore to protect them until his last day, then why was Error so different? He had not expressed his hatred for the multiverses to you, but there was a gathering sense that he loathed them, the noise that they sang in the Void, piercing through the silence. How could he and Ink be thrown into the same world under the same circumstances and yet turn out so unlike each other?

How would the Void change you?

"Do you know where we're going?" you asked, looking around at the small rifts that offered brief glimpses into entire different worlds. A part of you wanted to join them, run into the rift and never come back, be a part of something, anything. But then your mind wandered to your own universe, the way it had been eradicated in the blink of an eye and the way the galaxy universe had followed suit, existing for hundreds of years and sailing into oblivion the moment you entered it.

You break everything you touch.

Maybe this was where you were meant to be, where anomalies such as yourself and Error were thrown into, for you were neither human, monster or any other living creature. This was where the infections, the diseases of the multiverse were shoved into so that the other normal creatures might prosper and thrive. For the greater good as the saying went.

But what made you different, why were you the outlier and not anyone else? You had played your part and read your script just as much as everyone else had. You were an unimportnat face in an unimportant village and when your universe expired, you had been the one to live while everyone else... went somewhere. But why you, why not someone important, someone valuable? The chief of your village, for instance, had been a vital character and yet the multiverse had deemed him unimportant and you lived.

Why?

"We don't get to choose our fate," Error muttered, seeming to pick up on your thought. "Every glitch thinks the same thing when they end up here." He seemed to be searching for something, probably the path to take the two of you to Ink's resistance as the glitch had described it as. But how could you find your way in a world with no start or end?

You wondered if Error thought the same thing, or if he still did. What did he think now, now that his mind was gone and sanity with it? Was he too just another puppet of the void, a puppet in some larger game? Who was pulling the true strings, the invisible ones that bound you and even him, strings made of fate and destiny and not blue thread? Was the one pulling these strings the one that had cut the end to your universe?

Not Nightmare then, you realised. Nightmare is a mortal, just as Error, Ink and myself. There is something much larger at work here, something that we have yet to see. And it laughs at us while we scurry around like ants to and fro, fighting amongst ourselves when we should be rallying and biting back against our strings.

"I'm sure it's this way..." Error scratched his chin, following some unknown trail that only he could see. You were certain that the two of you were lost, it was impossible to even tell north and south in this place.

"We're lost you bonehead," you growled, not realising the extent of your words. This seemed to trigger some reaction from Error, releasing some memories within his own mind, most likely from lost worlds and forgotten times.