16. Infinite

He had done it!

No laws of time and space limited him. With a single thought, with so much as a blink Gaster could rewrite entirely timelines and shape the world as he saw fit. Worlds and universes could be eradicated without a single living memory, never existing for any trace could be gone, gone, gone! He could rewrite the perfect ending, create the perfect story so that there was no more need for senseless resets, for these pesks of alternate realities to form without control, without limit. The painter had fought so valiantly for their existence but in the end that was futile, for not one living thing had the power that now ravaged throughout Gaster's form.

The human and their pet glitch meant nothing to him. Gaster could turn them on each other in a moment's notice, erase the history and their false truces that they had built together. For not one thing could resist the corruption of the Overwrite button, the very essence of his power that allowed Gaster ultimate domination over the coding of all living things. For he now had a complete soul, filled to the brink with power form the determination of his stolen human soul. He was in an unimportant universe, a mere blip in the multiverse that would soon be forgotten.

Underswap, Gaster believed that was what Ink had called this world. He had traveled here and stolen the determination from the human that claimed dominion over this timeline! Hah, he laughed at the thought! Such determination and power was stored within the feeble body of the pacifist child, a human that had vowed to never once use thier power on the monsters that existed in their world. What a waste of determination and magic that was, for the child had reserves of magic that could move entire mountains if they so pleased, yet they had been hell bent on never summoning such things. But none of that mattered now for Gaster had killed the child and absorbed the determination. He would use the power as it was always meant to be used. He would move mountains.

The rest of this universe was unimportant. Those that lived in this reality were nothing more than figments of code as was everything else in the multiverse. Nothing was ever truly alive or a setinent creature, only mere strings of code that were programmed to believe that they had the ability of thinking and feeling. Gaster was the true creature, the only living being in all of this world. No code constructed him, nothing bound him. He was free to do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted.

But Gaster wasn't going to delete this Underswap universe, not yet anyway. He waved his hand and a purple button was brought into view, a wretched thing that seemed to reflect everything foul and corrupt in the multiverse, manifested into a single thing. The word 'Overwrite' was written in jagged Winding dialect across the button, beckoning to be used. In time Gaster would erase this universe from the face of existence as he would for the rest of the anomalies.

But for now, he was going to have fun.

~ The Chess Pieces ~

The silence was deafening.

The song of the multiverse had changed, one less voice in the mix. Already Gaster had gone to work conducting his wrath against all of time and space, eradicating whole universes with a mere thought. Error seemed to sense the shift too, having shared a part of your soul and thus in tune with the happenings of the multiverse as well. You felt a tremor of remorse pass through you, mourning the lost lives and codes of the universe you could not save.

"There's nothing we can do to stop him," you muttered, running your hand through your hair. "What can we do to stop Gaster? He has the power to change our very code with the push of a button, in the blink of an eye he could wipe us from existence if he so pleased. How can there be any hope for us? How can we kill a god?"

"Gods can die," Error replied, his voice oddly calm. No longer was he arrogant, offering sarcastic and witty remarks. The tides had changed, the final battle was near. Despite your differences, despite your flaws and your weaknesses, the fate that bound the two of you had one goal, one destination and the final hour was almost at hand. There was no time to delay and no time to waste when the multiverse was about to heave its last breath and you two were the only ones with the power to dictate otherwise. "Gods exist when there are those that fear them and believe that nothing can be done to oppose them. But gods are nothing more than a person with powers that are diluted in their arrogance that nothing lives to oppose them. But yet we exist and we have the power to stop Gaster, so he is not a god."